Chapter Eighteen

Once through the massive doors, we were led into an extravagant, yet regal room with crystal chandeliers hung from vaulted ceilings, much like those in the entrance hall. The walls were a crème color, gilded with embellishments and adorned with soft pastel paintings and light blue silk curtains.

The floors were made of marble with veins of glimmering gold throughout, and atop them laid intricate woven rugs. To the left of the open space was a large white stone and iron fireplace burning what smelled like birch wood and was surrounded by white oak bookcases that just touched the ceiling. Directly in front of that stood a large hand carved white oak table with a very detailed map of Myrce sprawled out across it.

In the far back was where the queen was, perched at the top of a four stepped platform. She intimidatingly sat upon a white gilded throne, and did not even look up when we walked in. To her right, on the step below her, sat Princess Gwendolyn in a smaller but identical chair to the queen's and to her left, on the second to last step furthest from her, sat sweet little Princess Corinna in a very basic, hardly comfortable looking, white chair.

Just at the bottom of the steps, on the left leading up to the throne, sat her many courtiers. Several of which watched us enter with looks that could have killed. And on the right, eleven empty cushioned chairs had been situated.

The room was silent as we eleven approached, only our footsteps and the sound of moving fabric had been audible. Though, I could have sworn with how loud my heart was pounding, that everyone could have heard it. And every time I swallowed, it sounded louder to me than it probably did to everyone else. Almost as if I had dropped a book on the floor. Which caused me to look around anxiously, despite knowing it had all been in my head.

"Welcome, suitresses." The queen's firm voice carried through the quiet room.

We all curtsied in unison and nodded our heads in thanks.

"So few of you are left," She grinned in delight, "and those of you who remain are indeed the ones I had hoped to see."

"No doubt your doing." I thought.

Hardly any of us had enough time to really make a connection with her son, yet she relished in our still dwindling numbers. One would think the more the better, but I suppose in her case the fewer, the better to force him to choose who she wanted him to. Though that was purely speculation on my part.

"Please take your seats," She motioned at the empty chairs with a nod of her head, "We have much to discuss."

Many of the others silently fought for the first row of seats, as they wanted to be front and center, but only five, including Georgiana and Castellana, claimed them. I was more than content sitting in the back, it gave me a chance to observe rather than having to constantly avoid eye contact and be prodded with questions by the drama starved mothers that had sat across from us.

Sheera and Rheda took the seats to my right, and Emberly Craven took the seat to my left. Next to her sat Merona Harton and Bridget Selby. Three of which I had no prior issues with, or any real interactions at that.

"Everything spoken of within these walls does not leave here. Everyone here knows the price of breaking that oath, other than the eleven of you. So, know that if anything leaks, I will find out who is responsible and a swift dismissal will not be the fate awaiting them, but a month in the dungeons instead, or perhaps even death." The queen's scowl was enough warning for me, but I knew it was something that needed be said.

A moment of silence took the room before she snapped, "Is that understood?"

"Yes, Your Highness." Several of us stuttered, which made many of the courtiers grin.