My Mind and Me

TW: depression, suicide

Wanna hear a part to my story?

I tried to hide in the glory

And sweep it under the table

So you would never know

Sometimes I feel like an accident

People look when they're passing it

Never check on the passenger

They just want the free show

Maya's recovery was slow and she was losing patience with herself and with the process. She was back at Grey Sloan to get her leg cast off as it had been six weeks since the accident. Carina was a goddess for helping her the entire time and they were able to go on a few dates since she was discharged from the hospital.

Maya had requested a station change for herself since she needed a change of scenery and couldn't stand A shift any further. She was assigned to Station 23 as captain and was able to bring Jones with her as her lieutenant. She wanted to bring Ben and Ben wanted to come as well, but she could only bring one firefighter with her. The fire chief had sent one of the most hated captains to Station 19 in the hopes of cleaning up their act so they could respect their captains better. The fire chief had also let Maya know that she was officially in the running for Battalion Chief, but they were unsure of which station Maya would oversee. She was hoping it would be Station 23, because she had grown quite fond of them while working with them the past few weeks.

"What are you thinking about, bambina?" Carina asked while they waited for Teddy and the orthopedic surgeon to come into the exam room.

"Just the station. I still can't believe I'm in the running for battalion chief. It's all so crazy."

Carina smiled. "I'm so proud of you, bambina."

"Grazie, amore mio," Maya said, kissing Carina. When she surprised Carina with her Italian, Carina started asking her questions, and she answered earnestly; Maya had taken some time after the Olympics to herself, traveling through Europe as much as she could. But she fell in love with Italy and learned their language. It was two years before she came back home to Seattle. She loved speaking Italian with Carina and they could say whatever they wanted without people interrupting them or asking them questions about their relationship.

Maya was on cloud nine. She couldn't believe that Carina was with her, especially during her recovery. She had accepted Carina's help, something that she was known not to do. But there was something about Carina that made her different from anyone else Maya had ever met.

Yeah, I'm constantly

Tryna fight something that my eyes can't see

"Bishop, I'm sorry, but the only opening for battalion chief is at Station 19," Chief Ripley told her. "Sullivan moved to California and they need a new one. Beckett would be the captain there."

Maya nodded, trying not to get mad at him. She knew that the possibilities of having to go back to that Station were high. "Sir, I'm just worried about team morale. They didn't treat me with respect as captain. Who's to say they will treat me with respect now that I'm battalion chief?"

"I will accompany you on your first day and impound it in their heads. Beckett has offered a lieutenant spot, if you would like to permanently work with Jones?"

"Yes, please," she said quickly. "He saved me when my team left me for dead."

Chief Ripley nodded. He was going to have a stern talking-to with these firefighters. "Wonderful, I'll put the transition in motion. You'll start on Monday. And Maya, congrats."