Everything Has Changed

"You need help, Maya! I can't make a baby with that!"

"With that? Carina, you could be pregnant right now!" Maya shouted, throwing the trays onto the table. She and Carina were in the middle of a heated argument while cleaning up the mess from the tornado. Carina had finally found out that Maya had blackmailed Chief Ross in an attempt to get her job as captain of the station back.

Carina sighed. "Yes, I could be. Which is why you need to get help," she said before leaving.

The arguments only got worse. The next week, Carina refused to let Maya hold her in bed and left instead. This of course prompted Maya to run until she could barely breathe, thanks to the 'eyes forward at all times' crap her dad pounded into her as a child.

Maya had no idea why she was being so impulsive and why she was in self-destruct mode. She and Carina were happily married and were trying to have a baby. Maya still had a job as a firefighter and she and Andy were finally friends again. It had taken quite a while, but they were back to being friends. Best friends would probably need to wait a little longer.

Maya sighed as she ran around the block for the fortieth time. She had learned to get up earlier than Carina even if she wasn't working until later. This way she could get her frustrations out and avoid an argument with her wife at all costs. It wasn't ideal, but it's been working for the past three weeks. Three weeks since Carina found out about the blackmail and wanted Maya to go get help before they found out if Carina was pregnant. Maya hadn't found a therapist yet, because of work and Beckett giving her all the dirty work. Maya missed when she and Carina were happy, but she knew it was partially her fault that they were in this situation. Seven months ago, Maya acted on impulse and accused Chief Ross of sleeping with Sullivan and giving him special favours so he would be promoted again. Of course this backfired and Chief Ross told Captain Beckett, who had begun giving Maya all the paperwork after calls and treating her almost like a probie again. Actually, in Maya's eyes, it was worse than being a probie.

Maya ran into the gym at the station to keep running on the treadmill and Ben was in there. "You just came running in? You doing more, Bishop?"

"That was my warm-up," she said, earning an eyebrow raise from Ben. He had always admired Maya's can-do attitude and the will to keep going.

Engine 19. Ladder 19. Aid Car 19. Four-alarm.

"Shit," Maya muttered, running to get in her turnouts and onto the ladder. Today she was working with Beckett, Vic and Andy.

They reached the site of the fire shortly and saw four townhomes on fire. Something must have started a small fire in one, which just spread to the other homes.

"Herrera, Hughes, Sullivan, Bishop, evac!" Beckett yelled. The four of them didn't wait to hear what he said next and both got fire gear on before running into the first building. It was a three story house and it was agreed that they would split by twos and then meet for the last floor.

Maya kicked open a door on the second floor, Andy right behind her. "Seattle fire, can you hear us?!"

"H-help! M-my m-mommy! S-she n-needs help!"

"Did you hear that, Herrera?"

Andy nodded, pulling out her mic to inform Beckett. "Beckett, this is Herrera. We have two civilians on floor two."

"P-please h-help!"

"OK, Bishop. Ready?" Andy asked, but Maya had already run into the room with the fire. Sighing, Andy followed. She knew that Carina and Maya weren't doing well, but only knew Maya's side of the story and didn't want to "push-in."