³. 𝐵𝑖𝑟𝑡ℎ𝑑𝑎𝑦 𝑃𝑎𝑟𝑡𝑦 𝑀𝑒𝑠𝑠

Start from the beginning

"Where is he?" he questioned angrily.

(Y/N) looked back to him and answered. "He doesn't wanna be disturbed."

"He's downstairs," Pepper replied at the same time without hesitation.

If (Y/N) hadn't hesitated in paying back attention to the phone call and laptop in her lap, she would've missed the way Rhodey stopped in his tracks for a few seconds to analyze her up and down, like he somehow recognized her. His eyebrows furrowed before he continued his way down to the garage where Tony was.

"His continuing erratic behavior may lead many people to ask themselves can this man still protect us?" a female anchor in the TV spoke up.

"Iron Man never stopped protecting us," Pepper said. "The events in Monaco can prove that."

───✱*.。:。✱*.:。✧*.。✰ ───

A day later, in the evening of Tony Stark's birthday, (Y/N) still continued to play her act smoothly and made her way towards Tony's luxurious bedroom, where he required her presence.

(Y/N) had to hide the impression the enormous bedroom had on her, but she couldn't help but notice how spacious it looked, the bed on one side, a small seat placed in the middle of it and a full-size window on the side of the room where the infamous birthday man stood, buttoning his dress shirt.

"Do you know which watch you'd like to wear tonight, Mr. Stark?" (Y/N) made her presence known as she placed the box by a table.

"I'll give them a look," he replied shortly Meanwhile, (Y/N) fixed a drink and placed it on a martini glass.

Tony stopped buttoning the shirt and dropped his hands. "I should cancel the party now?"

(Y/N) turned to face him and walked over with the glass in her hand. "Probably, why do you ask?"

"Cause it's, um. . ."

"Badly timed?"

"Right, sends the wrong message."

"Inappropriate."

(Y/N) handed him the glass and Tony took it, drinking the cocktail while he was trying to read the expression behind her eyes.

"Is that enough for you?" she asked.

Tony didn't answer for a second and removed the glass from his lips, trying to change the subject. "Gold faced with the brown band. . .the Jaeger. I'll give that a look. Bring them over here."

(Y/N) grabbed the box while he leaned back on his armchair. She silently made her way over to where he sat and he took the box from her.

"I'll take that," Tony placed the box on the small table. "Why don't you — "

(Y/N) was mindlessly standing over the armchair with her hands placed in front of her, waiting for him to say something else but Tony completely froze in his spot. Now that he was seeing her up close, he could tell he'd seen her face before. He found it truly familiar, but it was a memory buried so well underneath his other memories.

Tony realized he had stopped speaking when (Y/N) gave him a raised eyebrow look, and he cleared his throat to start from the beginning.

"I gotta say it's hard to get a read on you," he confessed, wanting to know more in case he did recognize her. "Where are you from?"

He could see how her shoulders tensed, but she still answered. "A boring place, you don't want to get into that."

"If you want to keep working here, I need to know more about you," Tony excused himself.