Chapter One

"Thank you, I'll see you Monday." I disconnect the call smiling.

Oh my God I got the job! The job I never thought I didn't have a chance in of hell getting. It had taken me longer than the typical law student to finish my undergrad. Between the incident the summer before I started college. The subsequent trial, mental health recovery, and therapy. Even with amercing myself in my studies as a coping mechanism, as my therapist would have referred to it. I was a solid two years behind when I passed the bar. I always assumed I would have to start at a much smaller firm and work towards a position at such a lucrative firm.

Everette, Jones & Cooper LLP, a multi-million-dollar law firm, with four branches across the country has hired me as a junior associate at the Dallas location. One of the largest and most prestigious firms in the country hired me out hundreds that I am sure applied. This seems like a dream. Good things have sparsely happened to me in the recent years. I just can't wrap my mind around this turn of events.

A few long moments pass of me just staring at the wall in total shock. After the realization truly washes over me, I break out into my happy dance, jumping on the couch throwing my hands in the air. "I got the job! I got the job! Bitsy, I got THE job!!"

Bitsy, my four-year-old grey tabby, glares at me from her perch on the cat tower for my sudden disturbance. I step off the couch to give the unimpressed feline a quick pet ensuring her that my outburst is over, so she can return to her nap in peace. Purring softly Bitsy lays her head back down and closes her eyes slowly.

With shaky hands, I grab my phone to call the most important person in my life.

"Hi Livy, is everything okay?" My mother's voice is low and full of worry.

"Mom, I - I got the job!" my voice cracks slightly as a new wave of emotions hits me.

"Wonderful Livy! But um. What job exactly did you get? I'm sorry you've just had so many interviews lately."

"The job Mom. Everette Jones and Cooper. They hired me!" I let out a squeal of excitement.

"Oh My God Olivia. That's incredible!"

"I know I can't believe it, I feel like I'm in a dream!"

"I'm so proud of you Liv. Let's go to dinner tonight to celebrate. Your choice."

"Yeah! That sounds perfect. I can't wait!" I sink down onto the couch, slightly drained as the adrenaline high wears off.

"Alright honey I'm still at work, but we can talk more at dinner, okay?" I can hear the worry creeping back into her voice.

She knows me too well. I've already felt the twinges of panic rise in my stomach about all there is to do now; moving to a place, leaving the safety of a known environment. Will he find me in a different city? Do I even still need to worry about him?

"Okay Mom sounds good to me. Have a good rest of the day at work. Love you."

"I love you too baby. Bye now" she ends the call. A sense of calm always comes over me when she uses her signature goodbye.

I lay back on the bed with a large smile. After a few moments, I decide it's time to do a little research, so I grab my MAC Book Pro and launch the search engine. I need to be as ready as I can be for orientation Monday. Now that I actually landed the position, I allow myself to explore it. Quickly, I type in Everette, Jones & Cooper LLP and a picture of a skyscraper that houses the main branch appears first. I click on the About Us link and I comb through all the information at least twice.

I read through some of their public records and their more notable cases; I already knew this was a prestigious firm before I applied for the job, but this only adds to my feeling of inadequacy. A bottle of wine and the annoyingly constant pressure from my mom and Brynn gave me enough courage to send in my resume. I never truly expected to get the job after one short phone interview. The HR member I interviewed with told me I'd be called in for an in-person interview if I made it thru that round of selections. I haven't heard anything else until today. The obtainable plan was to get a job at a small, probably local, firm with growth opportunity and make partner one day.