CHAPTER I

April 12, 1716
South Carolina,
Charlestown

Beloved daughter,

Our lives are too short to see the changes in society. I am sorry to hear that you are trapped by the conventions and principles of this time.

We have heard from Professor Brown that you have again requested the Chancellor of the University to give you your degree, but that, for the umpteenth time, he has objected. My child, this pains us so much. Though it may seem little, you must know that your father and I are very proud of you. Your accomplishments in study are very evident and we hope they will give you a greater understanding of your surroundings. How much backbiting and how many pitfalls you have had to endure. You longed for an education as much as that of your brothers, and although it might have been counterproductive for your father, he fulfilled your wish; he ensured that all your inexhaustible desire to learn was satisfied. "Precisely because she is female she must study and thus understand the injustices of the world," was how he addressed me many years ago, just before you began your education. We have watched you mature and change little by little, becoming more and more an intelligent woman of strong convictions. Don't despair too much, my dear Eveline. They refuse to recognize your worth, they deny the existence of an educated woman, but no matter how much they may fight against you, no matter how much they would like to strip you of all your knowledge and relegate you to the role they would like you to assume, they will never succeed. They can take everything from you, but not your knowledge.

Your brothers miss you very much. As you know, Gideon had his birthday yesterday. He received a new horse as a gift; an Andalusian stallion purchased by your father a week ago. It's an extremely agile, hardy, fast horse. It has a grey coat and a mane of the same colour. Your brother was delighted with it and can't wait to show it to you. Henry, on the other hand, met a girl of Dutch descent, the daughter of a sugar plantation owner. They met at a reception in town and I think he was very impressed with her. Her name is Detty Bakker and from what I hear she comes from a very respectable family. I am not yet quite sure whether her father will allow our Henry to court her, but nevertheless he is expected at teatime on Wednesday. According to your father he has nothing to fear, as our income mounts on a par with that of the Bakker family; therefore, we presume they will be well pleased with Henry's attentions to their daughter.

You will hear from your sister Mary very soon. She is writing you a long letter at this very moment, hurried as usual. Surely, she is telling you every anecdote and every nonsense that happened, I hope you won't get too bored reading her ramblings.

Your departure is expected in exactly one month but considering that the letter will take almost as long to reach you, you will most likely receive it a few days before you leave London for good. Well, I would like to wish you all the best on your journey. We will pray to the Lord to watch over you, that you may arrive safely in Charlestown and be reunited with us at last.
Leaving our beloved London is not at all easy. But be brave, be strong. Saying goodbye to an old thing for a new thing is not as sad as it may seem, far from it, for a mind as bright and jovial as yours it might even be exciting.
Your father sends his regards, he says he can't wait to see you again.

With love,