Chapter 5

POV: Sloan

My stomach fluttered nervously as Deacon parked in the driveway of an enormous house. House was hardly a fitting term for the three-story mansion hovering above us.

I'd done enough research before moving here to know that the houses along Saint Charles Avenue were worth millions. That was why I hadn't even looked for a rental in the Lower Garden District, instead settling in the quirky Bywater neighborhood.

"It helps that we have four incomes," Deacon said, offering me a knowing smile, and I finally closed my gaping mouth.

"You guys must be doing pretty well for yourselves if you were able to afford these digs," I said with an appreciative glance.

"I own the bar, as you already know. Sumner is a successful musician and music producer. Avery teaches English lit over at Tulane, and Reed is an ER surgeon at University Medical Center—where they take all of the gunshot trauma."

I mulled over that information as Deacon exited the Range Rover, coming to my side to open the door. Always the southern gentleman, this one. I was glad that he hadn't changed in that regard.

"Thanks, D," I offered as his arm slid around me, guiding me up the front steps. The touch felt warm and foreign and addictive all at once. How long had it been since anyone had touched me like this? It felt better than I cared to admit, but I couldn't get used to it. Not when I knew what I had to do to protect him and the others. I wasn't sure I could disappear once I saw all four of them together, but leaving was no longer an option.

I paused at the top of the landing, suddenly unsure of myself. Seeing Deacon earlier and registering all the ways in which he'd grown had been overwhelming. I also worried what the other guys would think of how I'd changed, of my radio silence for the last ten years.

Deacon guided my gaze back to his, placing a soft, reassuring kiss on my lips. The desire I'd felt before came back with a vengeance. I tried to ignore our chemistry as he pulled away and looked into my eyes. "No one is judging you, Sloan. Trust me when I say, we're all just happy that you're alive."

That eased some of the tension in my body, and I felt my shoulders relax slightly. I gave him a small smile, to which he said, "There's my girl."

Then he pulled me through the front doors.