Chapter 4

*flashback (Annalise age 2, Alex age 17)

Alex's POV

My parents and I just had another major fight, all because I wanted to go on a date tonight. I was playing away on my drum kit just trying to get lost in the music when the door opened. AJ stood there covering her ears and I stopped playing instantly.

"Hey AJ, what are you doing up?" I asked.

"It's loud, Bubu," she said.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to wake you up," I said picking her up, "Come on let's get you back to bed."

"No, not you loud. They loud," AJ said pointing toward our parent's room.

"Oh," I didn't hear the yelling until she mentioned it but it was really loud. I turned on the noise machine in my room as loud as it could go and turned the lights off. "Is that better?"

She held her hands over her ears and shook her head, "Why they loud, Bubu?"

"They are upset with me and I think they are upset with each other now," I told her.

"Why?" she asked.

"I'll tell you when you're older," I said.

"Sing!" she yelled putting her hand over my mouth.

"Sure, whatever you want AJ," I said. I started singing the new song that Luke had played for me called 'Bright' and when I was finished she was fast asleep in my arms.

*end of flashback*

Annalise's POV (Age 16)

Ever since I found Alex's drums and his band's sheet music I have been practicing every day. Once I finally felt like I was good enough I decided to try and join a band. But it's really hard to get taken seriously when you say you're a female drummer.

After school, I went to the address of the most recent ad in the paper for a drummer. I walked in and the two boys looked like they had seen a ghost.

"Can we help you?" the boy with brown hair asked.

"I'm here about the ad for the drummer," I said.

"A girl drummer? Are you joking?" the other boy said.

"No, I've been playing for 4 years. I can also sing, if you need another voice while I play," I said.

"Sorry, we are looking for someone with more experience," he said.

"He's lying," the brown-haired one said, "I'm Damion, what's your name?"

"Annalise, but my friends call me AJ," I said.

"Well, AJ, show us what you got," Damion said.

"You've got to be joking dude," the other boy said, "she's a girl!"

"You'll have to forgive my friend Ryan. He's a bit of a drama queen," Damion said, "Please, show us what you've got."

I sat down at the drum kit and sang the opening notes to one of my brother's songs 'Now or Never' in my head before hitting my drumsticks together to get started.

Don't look down, cause we're still rising up right now

And even if we hit the ground, We still fly

Keep dreaming like we'll live forever

But live it like it's now or never

We ain't searching for tomorrow (tomorrow)

'Cause we got all we need today (today)

Living on a feeling that's been running through our veins

We're the revolution that's been singing in the rain

Don't look down, cause we're still rising up right now

And even if we hit the ground, We still fly

Keep dreaming like we'll live forever

But live it like it's now or never

Now or Never, Now or Never

I opened my eyes and Ryan and Damion had their mouths wide open.

"I've never heard anyone play like that before," Damion said.

"I have to say that was pretty good for a girl," Ryan said.

"Not just for a girl dude! Come on, we've had 14 auditions and this is the best one ever!" Damion said. "You're in AJ!"

"Really?" I asked.

"Let's discuss this first," Ryan said.

"Bro, you're in my band, I get to make the decision. And I say she's in," Damion said, "Can you stay for practice today? We have a showcase on Tuesday and we would love to have you play with us!"

"Sure," I said.