𝟮𝘆𝗼𝗼 | place to dream

Start from the beginning

"Oh, perfect," the girl smiled. "Thank you so much...um..."

"Yubin," Yubin finished for her, a small smile ghosting her lips. Similar to the way that she spoke, Yubin was neither one for expressing her feelings through her facial expressions, but she had begrudgingly realized that when she worked in a store, she had to smile so as not to appear rude to customers. It usually felt like a chore to her, but when she looked at the beautiful girl in front of her, Yubin felt that the new rush of butterflies in her heart seemed to make everything easier.

"Yubin. Thanks, Yubin." The girl had a bit of a puppy-like energy about her, playful and bashful all at once, with an aura that seemed to radiate cheerfulness effortlessly.

Yubin nodded once before she returned to the counter. Surprising even herself, she didn't feel a desire – or, at least, not one that was overwhelming – to pick up her book again. Instead, she sat down on her usual perch and leaned against the wooden surface, using her elbows to prop up her chin as she watched the girl study a stack of books that she had collected in her spindly arms.

Yubin worried that the girl had caught her staring when she glanced over at the counter, but there had been no need to be anxious. "Y-Yubin?" the blonde asked from where she stood, her voice a bit louder than it had been previously so that it carried across the room but not so loud that it would disturb the other customers in the store. "C-Could you give me a...a recommendation?"

Yubin smiled slightly to herself as she hopped off of her stool, only catching the fact that she had done so when she was halfway to where the girl stood. "What can I help you with?"

Perhaps it was the lighting of that particular section in the store, but Yubin briefly wondered if the girl's cheeks had gotten pinker before she replied. "I'd like to know if you've read any of these, and if you could tell me which one you enjoyed."

"I can't read English that well," Yubin said regrettably as she looked at the selection of books that the blonde had held out for her to see. "Not full novels like this. But," she added, perking up as she saw a familiar cover in the stack of paperbacks, "I have read the Korean translation of that one, and it's quite good."

"Eclipse? By Monica Lee?"

Yubin hummed in confirmation. "Mhm. The author lives in America, but she's Korean and has a large Korean following, so she wrote it in both languages. I read the Hangul version, and I really enjoyed it." Yubin gestured to the counter behind her, where her beloved novel had been discarded on the wooden surface. "In fact, I'm reading the second installment of the series right now. It's called Red Sun."

"Interesting," the girl replied. She was already skimming the synopsis with curious eyes. "I think I'll get this one, then. Do you have the English version of the second book, too?"

"Not yet," Yubin answered. "We're getting it in a few days. But I can write down your information and let you know when it comes in, if you would like."

"I would love that," the girl grinned. Yubin felt a twinge in her stomach when she gazed at the blonde's perfect smile. It was charming and beautiful, and Yubin fought hard to keep a blush off of her cheeks as she realized that the smile was, in that moment, only for her.

"Okay," Yubin said softly. "Shall I bring this one to the counter for you?"

"That would be nice," the girl replied. "I'm going to keep looking around a bit, though, if I can leave it with you."

"Of course," Yubin answered, giving the girl another nod as she took the book in her grasp. Once she had sat down on her usual perch again, Yubin selected a customer notice slip from a shelf under the counter and found a pen before beginning to fill out the information in its required spaces.