𝘀𝘂𝗮𝘆𝗲𝗼𝗻 | deja vu

Parts: 2
Ship: SuA and Siyeon
Members Are: In an AU (Part I), In Dreamcatcher (Part II)
Categories: Angst, Fluff
Summary: Alice and Monica are introduced in a very unusual way to SuA and Siyeon one day.
Author's Note: Contains detailed depictions of injury and death.

Prologue

They say that a piece of your soul doesn't join you in eternal peace. It waits instead for its mate when you die.

Just the part that remembers only its other half.

Sometimes, fragments remain to remind the new soul carrier of that time, familiar feelings such as déjà vu. A recognized item, perhaps a song – anything to tell you that the person that you have found is your soulmate after all.

Part I

When Alice Kim was adopted from a Seoul orphanage at barely six months old by a couple living in the United States, it hadn't been long until their neighbors expressed the same interest. They had been trying to have children for years, and they were running out of options. Nothing seemed to work, but perhaps this could be their forever story, as well.

A referral could speed up the process, and it did in Monica Lee's case. She was brought to the suburbs of Chicago, Illinois, some time later as a ten-month-old. And from that moment on, Alice and Monica were inseparable.

Playdates as preschoolers, walking to school hand-in-hand as elementary schoolers, sharing their struggles in high school: they had stuck together to the present, where they lived at college as girlfriends.

Secretly.

The eighties was a lovely time to live in. Alice was happy with that, no doubt. But society wasn't as accepting as she would have liked it to be.

But Monica was a rebel. She wasn't one to listen to others. She remained closeted only out of fear that it would hurt Alice. Though they didn't always see eye to eye since Alice was such a natural rule follower, Monica treated her girlfriend like a queen.

It resulted, however, in the girls often being forced to spend time together at less than desirable times. Usually, that meant when all their responsibilities had been taken care of. By the time that they would finish their schoolwork, it was late at night, they hadn't eaten, and they desperately needed to blow off steam.

Sometimes they did so in more R-rated ways, but generally, Monica would hold up the keys to her flashy blue motorcycle with a grin. "Wanna go for a ride?"

Alice despised the thing at first. It terrified her, mainly because of the fact that Monica was in control of it. But her girlfriend loved her motorcycle almost as much as she loved her girl, so Alice came to terms with the fact that she would have to share Monica's heart with the bike and decided to love it as well.

So when Monica slammed her books shut one night and grabbed her keychain from the hook, Alice caught the leather jacket that her girlfriend tossed into midair with a grin. It was a warm night, perfect for riding, and she couldn't wait to get away from her work.

Monica adjusted Alice's favorite pendant around her neck when it got stuck in the tag of her jacket, smiling softly. It was her first anniversary gift to Alice, and she never took it off. Monica often joked that if she had known that she was going to see it all the time, she would have gotten a pendant of her favorite flower instead. But Alice wanted a daisy, the symbol of new beginnings – the one that she always hoped that they would one day have, when they could love each other out loud.

"Should we go pick up some food?" Monica suggested once they got outside, helping Alice onto the bike.

"Nothing's open besides McDonald's," Alice pointed out.