5

"Layla, sweetie, what do you have there?" I asked as she ran up to me in the loft, climbing up onto the couch and sitting on her father's lap beside me.

"Derek gave me this!" Layla held up an old symbol of the Alpha Pack with a big grin. "He said it's magic!"

"Did he now?" I looked at Peter and he smiled at our daughter, rubbing her head fondly and having her giggle.

"Yeah!" she nodded happily. "But what is it?"

"This is an old symbol that Mommy used back when she was with her other pack. It's called the Triquetra." I said to her with a smile.

"The Tri-what-e?" Layla looked confused.

I smiled. "How about you go get your brother? I'll tell you two the story of this."

"Yay! Story time!" Layla hopped off the couch and ran to find her brother.

"You never told me about that." Peter said to me.

"Mh. Yeah. Well, you'll hear it now." I said with a smile at him.

Layla came back with Niko, the two of them dragging Derek and Cora behind them. "Mommy! We're ready for the story!"

I laughed lightly. "I see that you are. Okay. Take a seat and get comfortable."

Derek and Cora sat down on the floor, holding the reins in their laps as they also listened eagerly.

    "Back when the packs were all living in harmony together, the leaders of each pack took an oath to allow marriages within other packs. That is what this symbol is firstly seen for, and that is how my father and mother met. This symbol is given to each female of the pack once a worthy mate for them has been selected." I explained.

    "And that was Daddy!" Niko said happily.

     "Well...no. You see, my father was set in his ways about having the strongest pack, so he promised me to Aiden long ago without my knowledge. But what your father and I have is stronger than what traditions have been made in the past." I said, looking at Peter and holding his hand.

   He smiled at me, then looked at the kids. "Your mother and I found out that we are mates. There's only ever one person for the other. Sometimes, they never find each other, but your mother and I did."

    Layla clapped. "More story!"

    I laughed lightly before continuing. "This next part is the traditions of my former pack. Because my father was obsessed with only handing the strongest, he made betas from other clans kill their alphas to gain their power and status."

    "Mommy? What are the alpha and beta and omega?" Niko asked.

    I sighed. "The packs each have different interpretations of the ranks. But the most common one is that the alpha is the strongest of wolves, the betas are the second-in-command, and the omegas are the outcasts. The weakest, in some eyes."

    "Mommy?" Niko looked at me. "You're an Alpha?"

    "For now I am." I nodded.

    "For now?" he echoed.

    "Yes. For now. I could stay an Alpha if I took the life of one of my pack mates, but I wouldn't hurt anyone here." I said.

    "But....Grandpa said I'm an Omega. I'm weak. Why—do you want to hurt me?" Niko asked with teary eyes.

    "No, baby. I'd never hurt you or Layla," I stood up and picked up Niko into my arms, rubbing his back soothingly. "I'd rather lose my status than hurt either one of my babies."