4

I walked around the empty loft until I found my husband sitting on the couch, book in hand, deep in thought.

"Peter? Is everything okay?" I asked as I sat down next to him.

"Yeah. Everything's fine, Isobel. Why?" he nodded unconvincingly.

"Well, for one, your book is upside down. And for the second, we can sense each other's feelings and thoughts," I reminded him with a light smile, moving my hand to the back of his neck and rubbing it gently, having him relax. "What's the matter?"

He sighed and set the book on the table in front of us, leaning back into the couch. "Do you think I'm a good father?"

"What kid of question is that? Of course you are, Peter." I answered.

"Then why can't I keep my family safe from Deucalion and his pack?" he asked.

I sighed softly and shifted on the couch to fully turn to him. "My father has his ways of getting places. Don't blame yourself over something like this."

He looked over at me and took my other hand in his. "When we got married, I vowed I would protect you and our kids forever. Seems like I'm breaking it already."

I shook my head. "No, you're not. You're keeping us safe by just being with us. My father knows how dangerous both of us are when it comes to our kids."

He nodded a little and looked around. "Where are the kids?"

"Cora and Derek took them out into town. I think they're spoiling our kids."

He chuckled lightly. "I hope so. Otherwise they'd be awful older cousins."

I smiled softly and placed my hand on his cheek, turning his face towards me. "What are you thinking about?" I asked in a gentle voice.

"Besides my constant worrying for the kids? How I got you as my mate and wife." he answered with a smile, brushing my hair from my face and tucking it behind my ear.

"You married me. That's how." I said.

He smiled even wider and chuckled, kissing me softly. "That's true. And I couldn't be happier."

    "Date night?" I suggested. "We haven't had one of those since the kids were born."

"Only if you wear that red dress I got you for your birthday last year." he answered, kissing me once more.

"Ooh. We going some place fancy?" I asked.

"Depends. Do you consider Olive Garden a fancy restaurant?" he replied.

I laughed lightly. "I don't care where we go. As long as I get an excuse to dress fancy and be Cinderella for a night."

He smiled and pulled me onto his lap gently, his hands running over my back as he kissed me. "Why's that, princess?"

"My dress will disappear by midnight." I answered, kissing him again and feeling him smile against the kiss.

"I like that plan. I like it a lot. But it might come off earlier." he spoke softly, kissing the tip of my nose. "And you're Cinderella every night."

———

Peter and I walked down the pink-and-orange streaked sky through the park, hearing songs being played in the domed stage by wheee we were, people dancing and listening to the music.

    "This brings back memories." Peter said, looking at me with a smile.

    "It does. Hopefully my father doesn't show up this time." I answered him.