1: back to top gun

"oh jesus," i groaned as i hopped out of the car. my dad hopped out too and just looked at me for a second.

"nice, right?" he smirked.

"that's not funny," i replied.

"i'm thinking you can sleep in one of the boeings," he grinned as we walked to the front gate.

"i'm not staying at top gun," i said as we walked, "and even if i did, i'd stay in my old dorm. maybe i'll call rooster up."

my dad frowned when i mentioned bradley by his flight name.

"what's wrong with rooster?" i asked.

"he's alright, just not in your bedroom," my dad stated.

"oh c'mon, you know rooster and i are just friends," i laughed.

"you're two sexually active young adults in the military," he replied, "who have a history of dating one another."

"who are just friends now," i added.

"whatever you say," he said.

"why did you take the position teaching here anyway?" i asked him.

"i wanted to," he shrugged.

"ice man made you?" i asked.

"that too," he nodded. "but he wanted you to teach too, don't forget that."

"why does he need so many new teachers anyway?" i asked as we got buzzed in through the main gate.

"new generation calls for newer teachers," my dad answered. "you nervous?"

"not at all," i replied, "unless..."

"unless what?" maverick asked.

"is hangman still around here?" i asked.

"i'm pretty sure he's stationed up in baltimore. ice man always wanted to bring him back to top gun so who knows," maverick replied, "you worried you'll see him?"

"no," i replied, "i'm worried about having to talk about what happened the last time we saw each other."

maverick nodded knowingly, "understood."

we walked into a large conference room and saw vice admiral beau simpson, an old friend of mom's, standing there next to rear admiral chester cain. beau hugged me when i entered the room and shook my father's hand before pulling him into a hug as well.

"we're glad to see you two back here," beau said cracking a rare, soft smile.

"having you mitchell's around has always been a pleasure," chester added on.

"i'm sure you two are well aware of the positions you will be taking on here at top gun," beau said, "but i will debrief you anyway."

"okay," i nodded.

"maverick, you will be teaching a course on the essentials of learning to take risks within measure," beau said, "like improv acting for aircrafts."

"roger that," he nodded.

"and (y/n)," beau said turning to me, "you're in charge of women empowerment on base. top gun has historically been male dominated but now a considerable amount of female pilots have entered our campus. therefore we're asking you as our first successful female top gun graduate to take control of women empowerment, respect, and success here."

"yes sir," i replied.

"you two understand your assignments then?" beau asked.

"yes sir," we both replied.

"then you're free to leave," beau said.

"thank you," i smiled and maverick walked out of the door. i stopped and hugged beau again.

"i'm glad you're back, (y/n)," beau smiled, "your mom would be so proud of you."

"thank you, beau," i smiled at him then left the room with maverick.