2 | Lambent Light | [6]

Ethan stood a bit behind me; his unbuttoned blazer had dropped onto the floor, while he just clumsily lifted his shirt up to his shoulders already. The better part was already well past his head.

"Whatever colour, I don't mind. Anything that's dry will work," he spoke, his voice slightly muffled behind the damp fabric.

I was facing him, holding the pink hoodie in my trembling hands. I didn't realise it for the first few seconds, but I was checking him out. My eyes scanned his body, from his broad shoulders and toned arms down to his faintly visible abs. I chuckled at the thought that they were just a bit too shy to expose themselves wholly.

I didn't know why but I could sense my heart beating against my chest.

Being completely frozen, I was able to open my mouth - though no words came out.

I watched Ethan take off his shirt in silent awe, bar an inaudible gasp I narrowly managed to restrain.

Our eyes locked once again.

I saw a faint glimpse of a composed smile on Ethan's features; his lips were pressed together in a thin, curved line. He chuckled, seemingly amused at the sight, "You okay, Xavier?" He asked, stepping forward and taking the hoodie out of my hands, "I'm sorry, I couldn't wait to get changed in the bathroom or something," added Ethan, his voice ridden with an awkward softness.

My face felt as though hovering right over a campfire; I could feel it light up for the umpteenth time we were together. I had a difficult time gathering my thoughts after the sight. I was unsure what it meant. Well, I had a vague idea, but I did not think I was crushing that badly.

Ethan raised a brow, "Xave?"

The sudden mention of my nickname snapped me back to reality. "Huh? Y-Yeah?"

He looked at me with an odd wonder in his eyes, an intrigue of sorts, "You should get changed too before you catch a cold." Ethan's tone had drastically altered, being much stricter, yet, at the same time, sounding worried and caring.

I rubbed the back of my head, my light blond hair tangling around my fingers. I had hated coming home soaked for as long as I could remember, though it mainly originated from getting an incredibly high fever during my early childhood years. I let the thought stray out of my mind, "You're right, Ethan. I'll be right back."

Swiftly gathering a set of dry clothes, I didn't wait for his reply before dashing to the bathroom and locking the door.

I leaned onto the sink; all this while, a sensation of unadulterated panic had been gnawing on me unconsciously. My stomach felt as though it was twisting and turning in place - overwhelmed by an anxious flare-up. Perhaps it was the sight of Ethan undressing- or the fact he was staying here until the weather cleared up?

I bend over in my soggy clothing, sipping some water. I was almost on the verge of praying that my body would finally quit protesting.

Yet it continued to object.

I took off my school uniform and the remainder of my soaked clothes, quickly changing them out for dry ones. As I reached for the stack of towels in the corner atop the garbage can, I noticed my appearance in the mirror. I looked like a mess, but compared to the first day, a lot better.

I threw one of the towels over my head; I swore my cheeks were distinctly more red than the colour of the fabric itself.

Swiftly ruffling my hair, I grabbed another towel for Ethan.

Turning to exit, I heard a car park nearby, its engine dying out near the house. It was a little confusing; nobody was due to arrive, nor had any of us ordered a package. I dismissed the thought as I heard Ethan softly mumbling, though I was unable to make out what he was saying.