Chapter Seven ❤ "Resentment turning into abashment"

Start from the beginning

"Ya Akhee, don't mess with her, she'll take the entire house on her head with her crying." said Hamad to Rashid, who was still smiling.

"It's her, she started it." Rashid bluffed.

"Liar, Liar. Hamad 'Walla' (I swear) he started it and pulled my hair too."Mahra certified.

"But you punched me," Rashid defended, winking at Zayed who had spotted Hamad too and was walking forward to greet him.

Mahra didn't know what else to say so she went on with whatever that came to her mind; "I hate you. Don't ever come to our house again." She yelled, "I hate both of you, you're not my brother's friends..." she pointed at Zayed who had gotten closer but her words died when she saw him looking at her, he always scared her. He gave her a deadly glare and she literally shrunk back, shutting up.

**

**Back to the present**

'I remember her.' He thought, as his mother lovingly caressed his hair. Zayed lay there on the floor with his head placed on his mother's lap. She stroked his short hair and he loved the warmth of her hands.

A picture of a young girl with hair like a birds nest came to his mind. He couldn't believe that that was her, that was Hamad's sister. He remembered Mahra when she was younger, an extremely usual face, but she had grown up to be quite a lady. Unfortunately, the changes were only physical; her behavior was still the same. She was still the ill mannered, spoiled and loud girl. He hadn't seen her from a long time, but from what he remembered and what he had observed lately, she wasn't someone you could easily forget.

'How could I have missed it?' He blamed himself for not noticing it, even after he read her files, the other week. Mahra Ali, 'I should've known' a girl who had come so far without a degree and had been praised by both his father and Mr. Faisal, and that loudmouthed personality, it could only be her.

Zayed was embarrassed. Yes, embarrassed because of his friend. What had he done to his sister? What will Hamad think now?

The moment when Hamad told him that his sister worked with him, he had thought she might be some girl working in their office and he had to see who she is. But Mahra confirmed his doubts, before he could even make any actions. When Zayed heard her yell at Hamad like that, he had recognized the voice and that temper at once. From what he heard she appeared to have been wrathful, which wasn't surprising since it was Mahra we were talking about.

Subconsciously, he was smiling, a close mouthed smile which his mother seemed to notice. She was about to ask the reason for it when Jassim entered the room.

"Salaaam Alai..." he trailed off, narrowing his eyes at the sight in front of him. "Haa? Ya Umm Zayed, (Mother of Zayed) Ohhoooo what's going on here?" he asked, watching both his mother and brother with green eyes. "Looks like you've forgotten you have another son, mother, who also is in need of some care, and that comforting lap of yours." He played with the bill of his red cap and stepped forward to where they were sitting.

"Don't compare yourself with him Boy, and don't feel wary. Zayed has a different place in my heart, you all know that." Umm Zayed replied. Jassim put a hand on his heart like all of a sudden it had stopped beating and in an exaggerated tone he said;

"Oh mother my heart aches, my soul breaks. It's crucial of you to love my older brother so unconditionally. I feel left out." She rolled her eyes and laughed at her son's sudden change of manner. Zayed too looked up with a raised eyebrow and smiled at his younger, envious brother.

"Since when have you become a poet?" He asked, looking closely at Jassim's eyes which were almost out of sight under that cap.

"I know I never fought in war, I wasn't that good in school, and neither did I ever drive a fancy car." Zayed now raised both his eyebrows at that. A picture of Jassim's ostentatious Hummer h4 flashed in his brain and he gave his brother a look that said 'Really?'