"But you saved my life. I owe you a debt," she tells the thief.

"You don't owe me anything."

"You walked in to help me, even though you knew it would cost you. Doing a good deed for others is not a small thing. I want to help."

She lets out a huff of air, then nods. "How will you help? You're locked up in here too. You can't give the stone to the Hakeem. He doesn't deserve that power."

"I can make a deal, that I will bring the stone to the rightful heir of the throne." Even though the woman is not looking at me, I can feel the suggestion of her words. But there is no way she could know. It is a secret, kept only between me and my father.

"To Nawaz? He could be worse than his father."

"It is a risk we have to take." The woman steps up to the bars, looking for me. "Tell the Hakeem that I request his presence immediately."

~~*~~

The woman, Akilah, sits at the low table in the Hakeem's meeting room. At the Hakeem's side is Nawaz, whose eyes keep drifting to the shivering thief.

She may no longer have the intention to trick the prince into loving her, but it seems like he might have already fallen into the trap. But perhaps love is too strong a word. It only seems that he wants to keep her warm, and then undress her.

It's the same thing he wants for most women he lays eyes on.

I stand at the door, alongside three other guards of the palace. The people who work inside the palace do not become friends, usually. It is dangerous to care, because workers come and go here—and sometimes they go, and are never seen again.

But the guards stay. Guards are trained from teenage years, like Ali and I were, and they swear themselves to the service of the palace. They do not leave, not without a command to do so. I hated every second of swearing to serve my father, when he looked at me like I was nothing.

Now he barely looks at me at all.

"You are agreeing to bring the stone here, to the palace? What has changed your mind?" the Hakeem asks, shifting on the pillow he is sitting on.

"I only swear to deliver it to the heir of the throne." Akilah gestures to Nawaz. "But it is not something I can do alone, so I'm return for your help. I request the assistance of Malaika and two of your best guards."

The Hakeem doesn't like requests or favours. He regards her in silence. "Very well," he says after some consideration. "You may go on this journey, and I will provide with one guard—however, I will also be sending my son to accompany you, and to ensure you follow through on your word."

Nawaz turns to his father in shock, but says nothing. "Where is the stone?" he asks after recollecting himself.

"We will head towards Diyar, but the location of the stone will be further west." Akilah does not explain more than that. Nawaz clearly has more questions, because there is nothing further west than Diyar, but he says nothing.

Ever the obedient prince.

My fists tighten, remembering every time he sent his guards to my rooms. To do the things he was too cowardly to do himself.

"Very well. We shall set out this evening, if you will allow it." Akilah dips her head, showing her respect.

The Hakeem waves his hand to me. "You will go with them, and protect them. With your life, if you must."

Nawaz meets my gaze, a surprised yet satisfied expression on his face. Once we leave, nothing is going to protect you. I try to send the message through the intensity of my gaze.