"I brought you a present." he took a small package from his pocket and handed it to Catherine.

it was a gold medallion with their family crest engraved on it. When Catherine opened it she saw that it was empty.

"It's empty." She said. Alessandro nodded. "That's right, it's yours to fill it with whatever you want: a painting or perhaps herbs."

Catherine immediately looked up. "What are you trying to tell me with that?" she asked in shock.

Alessandro bent to her ear so their uncle couldn't hear them. "If you ever need to poison someone, you can do it with this around your neck. I know all those books you read say a lot about how herbs work, the good and the bad effects."

Catherine nodded slowly. She hoped never to have to use her knowledge, but she also knew it was useful to keep it with her.

She gave the necklace to Alessandro. "Would you tie it up for me." she said as she turned her back on him.

༺༻

When they entered the courtyard it was already full of horses and carriages.

Catherine saw that Henri had already mounted his horse. He was standing next to his brother, who was already on his own horse, and was talking to the equerry, who was still holding his horse.

The king and the queen approached them and bowed to the holy father.

"Your Holiness, I wish you a pleasant and safe journey. I hope you enjoyed your stay in France. I am glad that you have entrusted us with your niece." he said to the pope.

Clement smiled at the king as he took his hand. "Your Majesty was a wonderful host. This was a trip to remember. I know that you and your family will treat my dearest niece well. I bless your reign and your health, and that of your queen."

"I hope you have a pleasant journey, Your Holiness." Eleanor said gratefully. She wanted to leave as soon as possible to avoid Alessandro.

The night before had been unforgettable. She hadn't had so much fun with a man in years. Alessandro had made her feel like a new woman again.

She had slipped to her chambers early in the morning, before the sun rose and the servants began their work.

Agnes had prepared a tea for her in the morning that would prevent her from mothering a child. God knew what trouble they would get into when she Eijks have fallen pregnant.

Alessandro bowed briefly. "Your Majesty, I hope France and Florence could do business with each other sometime in the future. I have enjoyed my stay here and wish to return soon for another visit." he said to Francis. Francis teasingly slapped Alessandro on the back. "I'm sure you enjoyed the women at court."

Eleanor felt herself turn white.

Alessandro laughed. "But that of course, Your Majesty. I was actually in France last night, if you know what I mean." He winked at the king who was roaring with laughter.

Francis turned to Catherine, who was still standing beside them. "Duchess, you will travel in the carriage with my children Madeleine, Charles and Louise. Walk with me."

Catherine gave Alessandro and Clement a quick hug before she followed the king. The Pope also decided to walk to his carriage, leaving Eleanor and Alessandro alone.

"Your Majesty, I hope I shall see you again someday." said Alessandro.

Eleanor wanted to tell him how much she enjoyed yesterday and how she wished she could stay with him forever. But on the other hand, she wanted to push him away from her.

Why would a young man like him want her, an old woman? Eleanor herself knew that he only did it for the adrenaline it gave him.

"I hope you have much success in your life. It won't be long before you marry my niece. Treat her well and forget everything that happened yesterday. I wish you a happy marriage." said Eleanor curtly.

Alessandro seemed unbothered by Eleanor's sudden change in behavior. "Thank you, Your Majesty. I also wish you a happy marriage and life." He bowed and walked to his horse.

When everyone was in their carriages and on their horses, the two groups went their separate ways. One part towards Italy and the other part towards Fontainebleau.