The Tide Of War

The flay back to base was a standard 16 hour fly even though Greyson was flying at 20,000 RPM and almost 560 miles an hour. Russian jets tailed us most of the way, I suspect due to the belief that we were American's. If only they knew the truth, what was really going on. When we got back to base, I was so tired and close to passing out that I couldn't see Danny and Alex to the hospital like I should have. Instead, I told them I'd come see them in the morning and went back to the barracks.

When I woke up the next morning, Adelind and the kids were already up. I could smell breakfast and hear the TV so I guessed that Adelind was cooking and the kids were watching TV. Yawning, I pulled myself out of bed and pulled on one of my uniforms before walking out of the living room. Ace was hovering over the Xbox playing Call Of Duty Ghosts split screen with Tyson, Helix and Dusk were hovering over their heads watching them and Adelind was in the kitchen making breakfast.

"Morning honey", she said.

"Morning", I said walking up beside her, "what's in the pan?"

"Bacon", she said, "you weren't up so I thought I 'd try my hand at it. Took me a minute to figure out how to light the stove, but other than that it's the same thing as cooking a bison over a fire back home."

I sighed, "I'd give anything for some freshly killed meat right about now."

"When can we go back?", she asked, "I mean I love it here...but I'd rather live like we did at Tacoma. All this stuff here at Romeo is a bit much for me."

"It's starting to get to me too", I said, "I promise we go home after Lung is dead."

"And how do you plan on doing that?", she asked, "we don't even know where he is."

I sighed. Adelind was getting more and more agitated by the day, more than likely a result of my being gone all the time and her not knowing for sure if I was coming back or not. To be honest, I could tell her that I was gonna come back in one piece all day long, but whether or not it happened always remained to be seen.

"I don't know", I said, "I just don't know."

Adelind put the spatula down and leaned into me.

"Every time you go out I'm scared to death until you come back", she whispered, "I'm scared that you'll be shot, blown up or dismembered in someway and I'll lose you. I won't ever be able to even begin to patch the hole you'd leave if I lost you."

"Nor I you", I told her.

"Promise me that when you do find Lung that we can go home afterwords?", Adelind asked.

"I promise you", I answered, "once he's dead were going to go home and forget any of this ever happened."

Adelind sighed and turned back to the stove. I suspected that she didn't believe me. Sighing myself, I went into the living room and sat down by the couch, watching Ace and Tyson play Call Of Duty. They were in a menu and Ace was changing out some attachments on his characters ARX-160.

"Why that gun?", Tyson asked.

"Because it kills what I point it at", Ace said picking out an EoTech holographic sight.

"No it doesn't", Tyson retorted, "if you want a gun with a fast time to kill you go Remington R5."

"No you don't", Ace said, "you go ARX or SA-805. And for your information, Semi Automatic turns my ARX into a two shot monster while your R5 still takes 3 or four rounds to drop me at the same range!"

"Lies!", Tyson said.

"I'll prove it to you", Ace said, "Let's play Octane next. I guarantee I get to 20 before you."