Chapter 52 - BLADE

Start from the beginning

"Dad what's going on? What happened to you?" I asked, pulling away from the hug to sit next to him on the bed while holding his hand.

He goes to sit up but I place my hand on his shoulder and gently pushed him back down so he would rest and not stress himself any further. "You don't have to worry, bambina. I'm fine. Your old man is absolutely okay."

"Dad..." Manuelle sighed in discomfort and shuffled over to the bed so he could hug our father as well. Blade stood afar with his arms crossed and his gaze fixated on the floor, not because he didn't want to intrude but because he was bothered about something.

A doctor in blue scrubs and white gloves finally walked in with a clipboard clutched in her hands and a stethoscope around her neck. She checks my dad's heartbeat and did a couple of checkup that I couldn't quite pickup because of the million thoughts that raced through my mind.

"Is my dad gonna be okay, doc?" I whispered, stroking the back of his hand with my thumb, a solemn look on my face as she wrote something down on her clipboard.

"I'm going to be honest with you, your dad's condition is getting worse as the days go by. Can't say I'm sure when his time would be up but he's holding on quite well." She said without taking her eyes off the clipboard, placing me in a much deeper state of confusion.

"What do you mean by that?" I murmured, glancing at my dad who looked away from me in guilt while heaving out a heavy sigh that heightened my confusion. Manuelle and Blade both had the same guilty expression that washed over their face. At this point, I was fucking freaking out.

"You don't know? Your dad has lung cancer. He collapsed due to the amount of stress he was under and that contributed to the growth of the cancer." She responded, staring at all of us with a little bit of confusion but shrugs nonchalantly and told my dad he would be discharged in a few hours. After that, she left and that's when I stood up from the bed as all the pieces of information finally came together in my head.

The time my dad wanted to speak to Blade and Manuelle about something in private and when I confronted them, they came up with a lame excuse which I fell for..... Blade acting weird after that fateful day.... The argument between my brother and Blade......

"Bambina...." My dad croaked. He seemed to be on the verge of tears but none were gathered in his eyes. I stared at all of them, hurt that they would hide my dad's illness from me.

"You're suffering from a very serious illness and you didn't tell me?" My voice came out in a shaky whisper as everything finally came crashing down on me, my heart stinging from their betrayal.

"It's not like that, tesorino. I didn't want you to worry about me. You've got so much going on and I didn't want to add to your problems. Please try to understand me, bambina." He stressed, placing his hand flat on the bed so he could sit up.

I ignored him and diverted my attention to the two most important men in my life. "And you two," I pointed my finger to them accusingly with tears rolling down my cheeks. I know I was being emotional but I couldn't help it.

My father meant a lot to me and knowing that he was going through a life threatening illness just like Layla made my heart bleed all over again. I was once again helpless. The most painful part is that I didn't know about it. They left me in the dark thinking that was the best thing to do but it's not.

"You both lied to me and pretended like everything's okay when you know my dad's dying. I have the right to know because I'm his daughter. You can't fucking dictate what I should know and what I shouldn't. That's just messed up." I fumed. A lump the size of a boulder was lodged deep in my throat and I couldn't breathe. I furiously wiped the tears from my face and glared at all of them.