Chapter 23: I'm knocking at their door

Start from the beginning

I looked around the room one more time. As far as I could tell, it wasn’t messy anymore. No more confetti. No more dirty plates at the table. 

I remembered spilling some beer, but the floor was actually spotless. Actually, the entire room was sparkling clean. I wondered how long I’d been sleeping. I slightly raised my wrist as I was about to glance at-nothing, it wasn’t there. I placed it back in my room. And so, I took my phone out, and I immediately saw it.

(4 hours…)

*Sigh*

“And then…them…they uh…?”

“Before they left, they were a great help with the cleanup, unlike somebody.”

That hurt. That really did give me a heart-wrenching throb. For a moment, I thought I couldn’t breathe. I felt it in my bones. I felt it so much.

“Sorry…”

When she saw my sorry state, she stared back with an understanding gaze.

“It’s alright...”

Even when it sounded melancholic, still, it was comforting, to say the least. That's why I wasn’t gonna let it go to waste, and so, I actually did “cheer up” in the form of an uplifted smile. 

(Oh, what a sister.)

Oh, what a day. It definitely wasn’t part of the day-to-day that I was envisioning, though…

“Komachi…thanks for today…”

When she heard that, she did that thing again. That thing with her hand holding onto her arm. But after that, she slowly formed that. The thing I’d forever struggle and strive for. The thing I wanted to see every day no matter what. 

“You’re very welcome.”

.

.

.

As I took a sip, I thought “What lovely tea made by my lovely sister.” Seriously, it was really lovely. A therapeutic aroma with just the right amount of sweetness. Honestly, why didn’t she just work as a Chanoyu host?

(Komachi, quit that tiring job.)

(So that those lecherous brats can never get to you.)

The best ideas really did come when I was at peace. Just like at that moment. Comfy pajamas: Check. A cup of tea in my hand: Check. A book in the other: Check. A comfortable sitting position: Check. Kamakura right beside me: Check. Komachi in a good mood: Check. 

(Cloud nine…)

As my eyes closed, a yawn escaped my lips. At that moment, I felt a tear drop from my cheek, and it managed to drop all the way down to the book I was reading. By the time I tried to touch it, the paper had already been soaked. 

*Sigh*

New book already got sullied. But no matter, I continued to flip with every passing second. I really got faster at it. 

*Ring*

But my immersion was broken off as soon as the main door opened, ensued by footsteps that got louder with each step.

“We’re back.”

“We’re back.”

They appeared from the open doorway. They dropped their bags on the sofa. I closed the book and took off the reading glasses. I chugged the rest of the tea in one go and stood up.

“Welcome back.”

(Another early leave, huh…)

As I made my way to wash the cup, mom snuck up from behind me whilst giving my cheek a light smooch. And then, something was pressed onto my stomach. I looked down to see a small rectangular box, and it was wrapped.