"You could be a teacher, Sissy." Honor swallows half a spoonful of molasses-covered beans. "You're even better than Papa at helping me with my school work." He swipes the back of his hand over his mouth then rubs it across his pants.

Usually, I'd remind him of stubborn stains that don't want to come clean, but right now I'm just grateful he's eating. Even if it is only a little.

I lean over and rustle his hair. "Thank you, Honor. You'll always be my favorite student."

As Honor beams, I wait for a scathing comment from Victor, but it doesn't come. He's been unusually amicable toward me since our run-in with Mr. Baptiste at the cemetery, and I'm reluctant to poke the beast.

"Have either of you given any thought as to why Mr. Baptiste was lurking around the cemetery the other day?" I ask as casually as I can muster.

Something about the situation still doesn't add up in my head. That man hasn't been in town long and has no friends or family to speak of. What business would he have in a graveyard full of dead people he never knew?

Victor shrugs. "He was probably just curious about what happened. You know, with the graves and—everything." His face pales beneath his freckles.

"But it's strange, don't you think? He doesn't know any of us. Why would he care? I just think..." I stop before I say something I'll regret.

"You think what?" Thomas prods.

When his eyes fix on mine, my reserve caves. "Don't you think it's suspicious that all of these deaths started after he moved to town?" I do the math in my head. "We've lost six people in a very short amount of time. And no one knows the cause."

Victor stops mid-chew. "But we do know the cause. Aunt Tilly sent Ma that letter, remember? And then there's what happened with Agnes." He swallows the food in his mouth and shovels in another bite, not even bothering to conceal the ground-up contents as he speaks. "I know what I saw. The Milton kids did this. They're the ones responsible."

Tension settles across my shoulders. I readjust in my seat and shake my head. "There must be another explanation."

"But you saw the letter—and Pastor Turner confirmed what it said!" Several kids glance over at us before returning to their bowls of food.

It's true. I did see the letter. But still...

Thomas' eyebrows rise as he studies me. "I know that look. What are you thinking?"

I shrug. "It just seems like there's a connection between him and what's happening. I'm not sure how or what, but it feels like more than a coincidence. Don't you think so?"

I hold my breath and wait for his response. No matter what anyone says, the timing of his arrival is suspicious. And the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Mr. Baptiste has to be involved. Somehow, someway.

"When Papa asked me to welcome him to town, he intentionally blocked my view so I couldn't see inside his house. Almost like he's hiding something." I'm thrown back to our first meeting on Mr. Baptiste's porch. Everything about the incident was bizarre. He was bizarre. "What if he is?"

Victor snorts. "Hiding what—dead bodies?"

"Maybe." I shoot him a look.

"Do you think he killed our friends?" Honor asks in a small voice.

Guilt twists my insides. I hate to frighten him like this, but if there is something going on, my brother must be prepared. I promised Mama I'd watch out for him. But even more important than that, I need to teach him how to watch out for himself.