"But I contributed to it. I'm so sorry."

"I've already forgiven you a long time ago, Mai. I love you," Ellie said as she hugged her sister, hoping that Maya could find her way back to her soulmate and true love.

And I hear your ship is comin' in

Your tears a sea for me to swim

And I hear a storm is comin' in

My dear, is it all we've ever been?

Carina felt tears rolling down her cheeks as she listened to what Meredith was explaining to her. It had been almost a year of Maya being in a coma and her wife was still in a coma. The doctors were able to work on Maya's nerve function and the function in her limbs while she was in a coma, but they wouldn't be able to tell if there were any other underlying issues until Maya woke up. Amelia was frustrated. All of Maya's brain scans came back clean; there was nothing out of the ordinary. Carina felt Andy and Jo on each side of her, both attempting to comfort their Italian friend.

"Carina, I'm so sorry but I don't know what else to tell you," Meredith said, hanging her head. It had been draining on all of them, mostly Carina, but Maya was everyone's friend. She knew that her experiences weren't the same, but after Derek died, she also hadn't been the same. She knew that any news she gave would break Carina and Carina had been through enough bad things already.

Maya needed to be OK. She didn't have anyone else. Her mom was gone, so was Andrew, and her dad was so checked out he didn't even know that Carina had gotten married. Maya, her sweet, broken Maya was all she had left.

"Can she survive another month on the vent?" Andy intervened. She had been at the hospital just as much as Carina was, not wanting to leave either one of them.

Meredith nodded. "I know what you're thinking, Herrera, and I agree."

"Carina..." Andy started. "I know you don't want to hear this, but how about we make a plan of keeping Maya for one more month and then at 7pm when the month is over..."

When the month is over and my wife is officially dead. When I am a widow. All because she decided to go running on the treadmill. It wasn't even a fire.

"O-okay," Carina said shakily, not tearing her gaze away from her wife. She didn't want to believe it was true. Was she really making a plan for her wife's death? They had only been married for two years, together for four in total. It wasn't what she wanted. She wanted a lifetime with Maya, not just four years.

She was crying silently, holding Maya's hand while Andy comforted her from behind. Neither of them could believe that this is where they had ended up. This was Maya Bishop. She had won a gold medal on a sprained ankle, become the first female captain of Station 19 and youngest captain in history. She was the one that took on all the responsibilities after Andrew had died, and had helped Andy through her separation with Robert. She was there for Travis and Vic and Dean and Ben and Jack and Emmett. They were her family, and they couldn't bear witness to watch their family member slowly fade away. But they also knew that they hadn't been acting like a family lately, all of them too invested in their own personal lives to notice Maya's struggles. The guilt was eating them alive, but they wanted to be strong for Carina.

Since she and Maya had gotten together, the team considered Carina a part of their family. It made her feel welcome and at peace, especially after Andrew's death. Now she didn't know what she'd do without them.

Carina looked back at Maya, sobbing. "Bambina... Please come back to me. I really need you. I'm so sorry we fought, amore mio. I just need you to come back to me. Per favore, Maya, per favore. Ti amo tante."