Chapter Fifty-Three

Staying on the Brothers' floor felt wrong. After all that had happened, how much I blamed them for allowing everything to happen, it was impossible to stay with them. The seventh floor felt like a prison made of sun—too hot and restrictive—and much too bright in contrast to the darkness I was feeling. After waking and asking for Lachesis, I'd gone back to the privacy of my own room alone to wait.

By now Suzie's funeral was over. For the second time, I missed the funeral for someone I loved because of my so-called duty. I felt bad for her parents, but even more so for her. She deserved better than a service that her parents, who only cared when someone was there to witness their affection, put on. I cared, though in the end she hadn't known it, and I'd been sleeping instead of attending to pay respects. Not that I'd be allowed to leave now that the Brothers were taking turns stalking my every move to ensure I didn't leave.

Sooner or later that would end, and until then, I would bide my time. Not being able to feel much meant whatever tells I may have had in the past were gone. It was like nothing mattered anymore. If it wasn't beating in my chest, I'd think my heart gone.

A soft knock sounded, and Hailey stuck her head between the crack in the door. "How are you feeling?"

I pulled the blanket up to my chin and blinked her into focus. "I'm..." I sighed and rolled my head to stare at the ceiling. "I'm still here." I glanced back to her.

"Well, that's a bonus," she said, glancing back to shush someone behind her. She turned back, smiling forcibly. "So, are you up for visitors?"

"You're joking, right?"

"Uh, no. You have, um..."

Hailey stumbled into the room as someone pushed their way in from behind, the door swinging wide. Fabric rustled in blurs of red. White-blonde hair... Lachesis. Of course. Who else would Hailey allow in when even her and Tyler had refrained? Gabe would have come without an introduction. Coming face-to-face with Fate must be unsettling for them, but after all the Sisters had done to me, I'd never suffered their thrall.

"I asked for you three day ago."

Lachesis opened her mouth to speak and then, as though just remembering we weren't alone, turned to Hailey. Tyler waved from the doorway, an apologetic smile pasted to his face. With one look from Lachesis, though, they both scurried out of sight. The door shut behind them, leaving us in a drawn-out moment of silence.

"So?" I asked. "Where were you?"

"Catching up on duties set aside for our earlier chat," she said, turning. "Or do you think I have the time to sit around and discuss things to death?"

"It's not a stretch considering the time you waste sitting around planning."

"That is one of Fate's duties."

"Then I would suggest looking for a new profession."

"I know you think—"

"You don't know crap." I narrowed my eyes on her.

"I know—"

"Nothing." Swinging my legs from under the covers and over the side of the bed, I struggled to sit. Days in bed hadn't helped retain mobility, but it couldn't be long before my brain remembered how to fire at full working capacity. Bracing for balance with my hands at my sides on the bed, I grimaced and then said, "If you knew anything, Suzie wouldn't have died."

I drew in a deep breath and allowed the air to whistle out of the O shape of my lips, slowly looking up to meet Lachesis's gaze. It took effort not to flinch. Her appearance, no matter how unassuming it seemed, was a symbol of my bad luck. There was no escaping what she'd already put me through, but there had to be a way to thwart that which wasn't yet apparent.