Chapter Forty-Five

I walked over to Gabe and laced my fingers through his. There was no point in hiding now. He let go and I thought he no longer wanted me. But then he pulled me closer, tucking me into his side so that my ear rested over his heart, my hand appreciating the ridged muscles of his stomach where my right hand settled comfortably around his waist. Our point was made.

"I think it's time to leave," I told Gabe, craning my neck so I could look up and meet his gaze.

He smiled and some of the anger softened, but that was only for me. When he looked back to Lachesis his expression, as well as his tone, was hard like ice. "Open the portal so we can leave. Please."

Lachesis took her time studying us, first as individuals and then a pair. Finally, she sighed with resignation and waved her hand behind her. The wall in the living room on the left-hand-side began to change from its golden hue. From sparkling to dull, and then to brilliant and bright, the blue it settled on swirled. Faster and faster, it churned with lines of white instead of black.

"Is it safe?" I asked, not caring who answered. Lachesis wasn't topping my lists of favourites, but I doubted she'd want me to be harmed. "At Renalda's she had to do the whole ritual thing."

"That's because she needed to connect to the energy there. Become in tune with it," Gabe said, squeezing my side. "This is her home and she's always in tune with it. Trust me, it's safe."

I looked pointedly at Lachesis and said, "Oh, it's not you that I don't trust."

Lachesis rolled her eyes and looked away. I felt bad, leaving without saying goodbye to Clotho and Atropos. It wasn't their fault Lachesis did the things she did, and aside from her, they'd been likeable. Atropos was intense, and Clotho was as misguided as a child, but I liked them. Their quirky attitudes were... well, quirky.

"Ready?"

I looked at Gabe in response to his question and smiled. "Of course. Let's go scandalize Glory Academy with our relationship."

He laughed, squeezing my side one last time before letting go and taking my hand as we crossed the room. "No more hiding."

It wasn't clear if he was promising me or threatening Lachesis, but either way worked. We stepped into the portal still holding hands and smiling, neither saying goodbye to the woman who'd tried to keep us apart.

*****

It was a soft landing. For once I didn't skid or crash into something—or someone. Instead, it was like crossing a bridge, but submerged under cool water, leaving a refreshing calm even after we'd finished stepping through. Becoming dry again was instantaneous. The sensation fell like liquid drops running from my head to my toes, being sucked into an invisible vacuum located beneath us that only attracted water.

But that didn't feel as good as knowing Gabe hadn't let go.

Or the fact that for once, he didn't have to let go.

As soon as my feet hit the floor I was lifted again. Gabe swung me round and round and round. All I could hear was his laughter and felt only the dizzying effect of the circles we made until I clung, hanging from his neck by my arms in a desperate attempt not to fall. But once he was just as dizzy, we both crumpled to the floor, though he cushioned the landing by having enough grace to go first.

For a few minutes we lay there, silent but together. Alyssa and Gabe. Soon time would begin to move forward once more but right now, just for a few minutes, it was enough to enjoy the fact that we'd survived the time with the Sisters. We hadn't learnt all there was to know, but then, that hadn't been expected. At least we had a good place to start, and my knowing Gabe was David was no longer a secret.