Chapter Eight: Scavenger Hunt & Cozy Sweaters

Previously On Far Away:
Thomas, Chloe, Bella and Dylan went to the movies and Bella insisted on watching 'Annabelle'. Thomas and Chloe who are both terrified of horror movies left when the movie started and went shopping. Afterwards, sitting on Chloe's bed was a book with a note saying 'for you Little Mouse'.
And that's what you missed on Far Away

------------------------------------------------

Blech. School.

Normally, on Mondays, Thomas and I have gym first thing in the morning. But not today. No, today a bunch of students (Thomas, Jake, Dylan, Bella and I included) will be competing in a scavenger hunt against other teams and schools. I'm not really sure why but when Thomas suggested it, I agreed.

When we get into school an announcement blares through the P.A. "All students participating in the annual scavenger hunt must report to the gymnasium immediately." Says a brisk, female voice. So Thomas, Jake and I head for the gym.

We all file into the bleachers that have been set up along three walks of the gym, forming a sort of semi circle but with corners. I end up beside Thomas and Jake, since we came to school together. The red, metal benches are cold to the touch, and I'm almost positive that my legs will go numb. Damn you shorts!

And to add to all of that, the caretaker opened the big heavy doors next to our seats to "let some air in." so a cold wind is rushing though the gym and over my already cold legs.

Gosh, I complain a lot!

I sit there, shivering, waiting for the rest of the people who are participating in this scavenger hunt to file in when Thomas notices the goosebumps all over my skin.

"You alright, love?" He asks, raising his eyebrows at me. I look at him, teeth chattering. I suck with the cold. Thomas laughs and takes off his knitted woolen sweater that looked amazing on him. "Here, take this."

I smile and accept the sweater gratefully. Just as a large woman wearing a tight-fitting plum suit steps up onto the podium facing everyone.

"Good morning." She says in a very thick english accent.

Then the whole room replies as if it's some weird satanic chant: "good morning misses Hooge." I can't help but stifle a laugh because 'Hooge' sounded an awful lot like 'huge' which, I think, we're some of the student's intentions.

"I hope that you have all come prepared for today's events and have worn your teams colors." She beams at the crowd, making sure everyone is wearing one color only. Not one student smiles back. I look down at my maroon shorts and the red sweater Thomas gave me. Knowing that underneath, I'm wearing a red and white stripped t-shirt.

She continues, unfazed. "As you all know, today we are having another one of our traditional scavenger hunts. When I finish, I would ask the team leaders to come and collect the list of tasks and then meet up with the rest of your team in the colored area set out for you. " I look around the gym to see purple, yellow and red streamers and balloons set up along the walls. Pathetic.

"When I say 'go' and start the timer, you must commence your hunt in order to win.."Mrs. Hooge pauses for effect "Passes for your whole team to go to the upcoming carnival!" There are murmurs following the latter and the room seems to fill with excitement. "Alright. May the leaders please step forwards?" I feel Thomas stand up next to me and make his way to the podium. I watch as he and two other students (including Bella) accept a list from Mrs. Hooge and walk over to stand next to their colored wall.

There's a loud chorus of 'clang clang clang' as footsteps make contact with the metal stairs of the bleachers follow as everyone else goes to their assigned teams. Obviously, I make my way over to Thomas who greets me with a wide Smile, followed by a frustrated Jake who looks longingly at the yellow group, run by Dylan.

"Alright. Ready, set, go!" Says Mrs. Hooge and the whole gym bursts into conversation.

"Everyone listen up!" Thomas yells to the sea of red, gaining their attention almost immediately. "We need to work together. No fighting! Everyone will get a turn to do something in the end. Now my friend Chloe here, will read off some of the things we need to do to get us going."

Thomas looks at me expectantly. Taken by surprise I look down at the list of taste Thomas is holding and read off the first one. "Take a picture with as many kids as you can find." I smile, I can already tell this is going to be fun. But we better beat Isabella.

"Is everyone wearing the colors?" Thomas checks to make sure that everyone is wearing red, "Good lets go to the daycare center." Everyone agrees that that would be the perfect place to start so we run out of the gym towards our cars.

"Everyone follow behind Thomas's car! That way we won't get lost!" I yell to everyone and the 13 of us pack into 3 cars.

"Since when did you get so loud Little Mouse?" Thomas raises his eyebrows at me as I buckle my seat belt.

"Oh just shut up and drive!" I laugh and our whole car bursts out in singing "Shut up and drive, drive, drive, drive!" I think I'm going to miss this school.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N

Hey guys I can't believe it's been a month since I've updated I feel so bad! I promise this won't happen again I swear! I just got side-tracked by my other stories...OOPS!!

If you guys have any questions or suggestions PLEASE COMMENT and I will always try to reply and include you thoughts and ideas or at least give you feedback :)

Do you think I should have a contest for a character where you submit entries and I chose one of your characters? (I got the idea from DalekDeductions ) if you would like to submit a character tell me so I can hold the contest in coming chapters!

Thanks Little Mice!

-ChloeXx