Hmph! Looks like his job is not easy after all. It is like asking for leave with the lecturer in college. For a second, I felt pity for him.

“Hmm hmm!” I made a sound to gain his attention. He looked up at me and raised his eyebrows questioning me ‘what’.

“Dinner is ready.” I told him and waited for him because if I go in without him my mom may start another lecture on how to be a responsible wife. Did I ask for a marriage now? 

‘Did they force you into this marriage now?’ my conscience questioned me at the wrong time. Well, they technically put me in that position of getting married to this monster. 

“Why are you standing here? Are you eavesdropping?” He asked me as soon as he got off the phone call. Huh, I need this! I need this for the stupid plan I made. I just wanted to punch him on his nose but I had to jump to reach his nose and that is the only reason I am staying put in my place now.

“No, athaan! I am a good wife! I cannot eat without my husband! We have to go together. I am waiting for you, prana natha (ancient way of calling a husband in Tamil)!”

“Shut up!” He growled and I just loved it. 

“Why? You wanted me to talk respectfully and when I do you just yell. What do you exactly want me to do?” I asked him, still maintaining my puppy eyes.

“It will be better if you don't talk to me at all.” He said and walked ahead of me and I ran behind him.

We had a tummy full and I was helping my mom to clean up the kitchen while my dad and ‘my husband’ were talking, sitting on the couch. We were to leave for the airport tomorrow early in the morning and Varun was asking my dad about the driver. We had to leave home at 3Am for us to catch the flight at 6.30Am. If at all we were in my athai’s home, I would have got another two hours extra sleep. 

“Take Varun to your room. He is tired.” My mom said, stopping me from doing the chores I usually do.

“What?” It was like my heart almost stopped. 

“I will take care of this. You go and take care of your husband.” My mom said without looking at me. I walked out to the hall. I looked at him and felt like the words stuck in my throat. How the hell would I call him into my room to spend his night? What would he think of me? I just wish to kill my mom now.

“Are you done, Laya? Shall we go to bed?” He asked me like it is usual! My eyes grew big and I knew for sure if I didn't blink now my eyes would fall out.

“Huh?”

“We have to wake up early, Laya. Are you done with your chores?” He asked me, looking straight at my eyes. I just nodded my head and he bid good night to my dad and walked in front and I followed him behind like a pup. How could he do it so naturally? Oh, of course, he is a good actor, remember?

He settled right in the middle of my bed. He made himself comfortable in my bed and looked at me.

“Here, you can have this blanket and pillow. Switch off the light and put on the fan. Where is the AC remote?” He asked me.

“This is my bed. Get up, buffalo. You sleep on the floor. Get up. Get up, get up.” I pounced on him, trying to push him off of my bed. 

“Pch, I will call your mom now. I need to sleep badly. Get off of me.” He held my hands together and pushed me aside. Appa! How strong his hold is. 

“Don't show your full strength to a little girl like me. Idiot. You have hurt me. Look, my hands are bruised.” I showed him his hand impressions on my wrist and arm. It is definitely going to get purple tomorrow. My eyes welled up instantly.

“Pch, let's share the bed. Don't you dare cross this border.” He said irritatedly and put a wall of pillows between us. 

Fighting him is exhausting and it is not wise to make ruckus now as this is his fort. If mom and dad hear it, I will be the bad girl. So I laid down quietly. He slept in minutes but sleep was just out of reach for me. How could he sleep peacefully like this when I am tossing around without a wink of sleep? I was already worried that I wont be getting a full night’s sleep and now I couldn't even close my eyes when I was allowed to sleep. It was killing me. 

“Buffalo!” I called him to check if he was really asleep. Nope! No sound.

“How the hell are you sleeping like this?” I asked him, sitting up. When I am not sleeping he should not sleep. I took the jug of water that was on the side table and poured it on the bed around him. I enjoyed how slowly the water seeped underneath him in the bed. Soon, he woke up and I laid on my side without making a sound. 

“She still wets the bed? Haiyo!” He said loudly and slapped his head. He got down from the bed and started removing his clothes thinking that I was asleep. How dare he think I am still wetting the bed? What am I? A baby? 

“That is not pee pee, idiot. That is water. I did wet the bed but with water. I am not a child.” I tried to tell him but closed my eyes as he was shirtless and was about to take off his shorts. 

“No grown up will do this. You are retarded.” He came towards me, fisted his hand and hit me on the head repeatedly. I tried to dodge him but he was too strong to push away. His bare body was too distracting at the moment. 

“Please, athaan. Sorry. I will not do it again. Please.” I surrendered, finally unable to take his hit. He let me go and took the blanket and pillow that he tossed before and laid on the floor. 

I should be happy that he finally laid on the floor and gave my bed all to myself. Shouldn't I? But no, this stupid heart feels pity for him. 

“Athaan, you go and sleep on my side. I will sleep here. If mom gets to know that I slept on the bed and you on the floor, she will kill me.” I told him, going near him. 

“Who said you are going to sleep on the bed?” He asked me and pulled me down near him. “You sleep here.” He showed me the floor without a blanket or a pillow near him. 

“Unaku poi pavam pathen paru. Enna sollanum. (I need this for the mistake of taking pity for you)” 

“Pesama thoongu de. (shut up and sleep)” he said and went  back to sleep locking my legs with his legs. Just this one day! I compromised myself and tried to sleep, inhaling his body cologne.