6.The Bickering!

Varun’s PoV

She is an idiot. I just could not handle her immaturity. I felt stupid to have complied to her dumb plan. Now we are tied together and she is going to come along with me to Chennai. God! How am I going to manage her? She is no match for me! Not in age, not in maturity, not in height, not in anything as a matter of fact. I am not saying this to devalue her or insult her. This is just the plain truth. She is not my type. Her sharp tongue and arrogant behavior is simply revolting. She has no respect for elders and is pampered and spoiled a lot. 

“Varun, come here, dear!” My dad called me as I was about to go with my athai and mama to their home along with her to pack her stuff.

“Yes, pa?”

“I know this is all sudden and unacceptable. I know you think that she is intolerable.”

“But, appa…”

“Wait, let me finish. She is the apple of our eyes, Varun. She may seem disrespectful to you but she is not. We have given her all the liberties to behave in such a way with us. Have you ever seen her talking back like this to anyone else other than our family?”

“Pch, it’s ok, appa. I understand what you are trying to say. You want me to give this a chance and I promise you I will.” I told him to escape him glorifying that ‘kuttichathan’ (small satan).

“Varun, she is precious and we all trust you. She is a little immature but that is the beauty in a relationship. Do you know why in olden days marriages happened between a comparatively older man and young girl? Because men have that patience to handle the naughtiness and immaturity of their wife. I don't know what caused you to repel her. Use this time to observe her. Understand her. Try to fall in love with her. Don't spoil our trust in you, Varun.” 

“Appa, I will give this a chance. I am not sure if I can fall in love with her. But I will for sure take good care of her. You all can stay in peace here. She is in good hands.” I told him. I know how everyone loves her. I also know it is impossible to fall in love with her, but I am not going to shake that trust my family has for me. I made it a point that I must take very good care of her.

Mahalingam mama’s driver came and gave me the car keys and I hopped in. Mama sat beside me in the passenger seat and Athai and Laya sat in the back seat. I drove the car to Pollachi. A very beautiful place. A literal heaven on earth. Ambarampalayam is a village covered in lush green blanket all across. The fields and the stream are a feast to my eyes and I love the time I stay here. 

“Varun!” 

“Yes, mama.”

“I am so happy that this wedding happened. I know you said you are not ready for this yet. But I am a father of a girl. I just want to know when are you going to disclose this to the public?”

“Ennanga (an endearment call for husbands), give them time. It is not right to force him. He is in a different reality altogether. His business is far from our understanding. He is not like your daughter. He is a very responsible guy.” Athai tried to stop mama. Her over confidence in me is scaring me to death right now. 

“It’s ok, athai. I can understand mama. Mama, give us this one year time. Let her finish her studies. We will announce our wedding after she gets her degree.”

“Sorry if you felt violated,Varun. I had to ask.” Mama said apologetically.

“Please, mama. Don't make me feel guilty. I will take good care of Laya.” I assured him and I saw athai and mama physically relax with my words. All the more reason to keep up to my word.