1 - a new world

"jang yuna!"

yuna shot up from bed and looked at the time beside her. why was umma yelling at her at 4 in the morning?!

she stomped her way down the stairs and into the living room, where her mother was standing grumpily.

"what? it's four in the morning," yuna groaned, parking herself into a chair. it creaked louder than her bed that she has had since she was 4.

"your flight is at 8'o clock. hurry up and put on proper clothes." umma said, shoving clothes that she picked out in yunas chest.

yuna groaned and walked sluggishly to her room. she dressed in the clothes that her umma picked out, which were horrible by the way, and put on an oversized hoodie to hide it.

she came out of her room where umma was waiting in the hall. "are you excited to go to korea after a long time? remember when you were a little gi-" umma continued.

"NO, i don't remember. can i go to the bus stop now?" yuna said impatiently, pushing umma away to the wall. she opened the door and stormed out to the bus stop.

"yuna! don't forget your suitcases!" umma yelled from the door. the bus stop wasn't far from yunas home.

yuna ran back, embarrassed, and snatched the bags from her umma. the cold breeze of the night was getting to yuna. good that she brought a hoodie.

the bus was coming at 4:10am for her and driving her to the airport, where she would take her flight to korea and spend a year there.

the bus slowly approached her and she hopped in, giving $3.50 to the bus driver and sitting down in a seat. nobody else was on the bus except for her, of course, because it was 4am. everyone was sleeping.

2 hours later she arrived at the airport. maybe she'd find an airport crush, like she usually does.

--

south korea

yuna woke up to the tapping on her shoulder. the man next to her told her that they were getting off the plane. she got up and her legs were sorer than her physical education days in middle school. when she entered high school, she was relieved to find out they had taken out p.e. and replaced it with art, which she was exceptionally good at.

she got off of the plane, dragging her heavy suitcase behind her. she arrived to the incheon international airport.

she looked around cluelessly. people were pushing and shoving each other in a crowd ahead of her. she ran to the crowd, pushing people around her to go to the front. she didn't get a good look, but she saw what seemed to be like 8 korean guys coming back to korea.

now, yuna didn't know much about the k-pop world and who people were, except for bts and blackpink, but she didn't have to second-guess that these people were obviously k-pop idols.

she pulled out her phone to take pictures and tried to act as if she were a real fan--in which she wasn't. she pushed people the hardest she could, making a teen girl fall down in front of her.

soon enough, she got near the boys to get a clear picture.

but the manager pushed her away, sending her down to floor with a shove.

her phone slid across the dirty airport floor. she crawled around many feet to try and find her phone. eventually, yuna found her phone and flipped it over.

it was cracked! i mean, of course people had stepped on it, but this was bad. she picked up her phone in despair and tried to get another look at the boys, this time from a distance.

yuna soon gave up and just took a taxi to her new home for a year. a small and cheap apartment in seoul. it was basic, but it was okay.

as she turned the key to her new apartment, someone tapped her on the shoulder. startled, she looked back in fright.

"are you new?" the korean guy asks with a smile. she holds on to her keys as tight as she can, making sure that he's not some dude trying to take her keys.

"uh," she began to think of some excuse that made her seem like she'd been in korea since forever. "to this apartment, yes. to korea? no." she states. yuna thought she was oversharing so she turned back around and opened the apartment door. the guy stood there, waiting for her to say something.

"do you need something?" yuna asked with a snobby attitude. the boy frowned and shook his head. after that, he walked off disappointedly.

yuna thought it was weird that he came out of nowhere, but she told herself not to think much of it. although it smelled weird. she opened the fridge and was expecting some food to be in there but she had reminded herself that she was her own responsibility now.

she plopped down onto her fresh bedsheets and decided to watch some television. every single channel was in korean, which yuna could just barely understand, so she turned it off and walked out of the apartment. she knocked on her neighbors door, expecting the boy to answer the door. but he didn't.

instead, it was another guy. he looked confused at the sight of her. "hello? are you the new person next-door?" he asked her with a furrowed brow. yuna nodded, rocking back and forth nervously.

"i just wanted to get to know you. i'm jang yuna. i'm new here."

"isn't it obvious? anyway, i'm choi seungwoo. nice to meet you, i guess." he shrugged and shut the door in yuna's face.

his introduction sounded basic but rude. first impressions in america were important but she didn't think seungwoo really knew about first impressions. oh well.

the door opened again and the same boy from earlier opened it. "sorry about him. i'm kim seungmin. we met earlier, right?" he smiled and his braces showed.

"um, yeah." yuna bit her lip. "jang yuna. do you live here?"

seungmin shook his head. "i'm just staying here for a while since i got a break from work. it's been a long summer for me."

"what is your job? i recently came here for a year." yuna grinned. she leaned against the doorframe.