Chapter Seven:

The Deadly Seven rarely left the temple. There wasn't a reason to unless there was a soul to grab or a murder to commit. Or if there were questions to be answered. Like mine.

It took one text to Gluttony to find where I could meet him. And I wasted no time.

Gluttony had a thing for outdoor experiences. The Sin had been a botanist in his mortal life or the time equivalent. Didn't matter. He liked plants and requested that I meet him at a park. Of course, I found him under a tree.

Biting my cheeks, I walked in his direction. He turned his head, leaning against the massive bark, and smiled. "Hello, Octavio."

"Gluttony." I narrowed my gaze.

Gluttony didn't turn to look at me. He focused on the tree, pressing his hand against the trunk. He took in a deep breath as if it calmed it. "Well, hello to you, too, Octavio."

"I don't want hellos." I bit my bottom lip, sliding my thumbs into the front pockets of my jeans. "I want answers."

"To what exactly?" Gluttony's hand slid upward. He traced a scratch in the tree, following the line to the lowest branch. "You want to know why they're hunting you? Or do you want to know how I know you're taking too long?"

I rolled saliva in my mouth and spit it near his feet. "Fuck you," I said. "I want to know why I was set up and why Pride is making a game out of me. He knows this soul is hers."

Gluttony looked at his feet with a cocked brow. He brushed his foot over the grass. Sighing as if I ruined the natural aesthetic, he shook his head. "You're spitting at me. Was that necessary?"

"Letting me walk into this assignment was unnecessary—"

"I tried to stop you." Gluttony looked back at the tree. "I even followed you and hoped, prayed, wished you'd just turn back. But no." He looked at me. "You kept going for what you wanted."

Sighing, I stood in front of him. "When did you become a liar?"

He blinked. The moonlight hit his red-toned eyes, making them glow. The light reflected on his beard as he turned his back against the tree to face me. "I didn't lie to you. I told you not to take the assignment."

Deadly power rushed through me. I felt the burn in my chest, radiating around my heart. I bared my teeth and snarled when I looked up at him. It didn't matter that he was the larger man. He broke my trust.

"But you didn't tell me why," I hissed.

Gluttony was unbothered. He pursed his lips but didn't move. He continued to tower over me as he'd always done. I used to find it protective. Now I saw it as intimidation.

Stroking his beard, Gluttony leaned back, so his eyes changed. Black like his soul. "Was I supposed to tell you that the woman you lost everything for was born again? I didn't owe you that. No one did."

My tongue slid over my teeth. Their newly sharpened points pricked at my flesh, and I tasted my blood. "I think you because you protected me, then ignored me; I kind of was owed it. At least from you."

He slowly nodded. "So you say."

I snarled again. "I watched her die, Gluttony."

"Did you?" Under his beard, I saw him lick his lip. "Weren't you outside of the room?"

I didn't like his condescending tone. This wasn't the Gluttony I'd known for hundreds of years. "You told me it was done." I bit my tongue. "You said I needed to let go."

"I can't protect you, Octavio." He rolled his head around his shoulders. "I know you won't kill her, but you won't be able to run this time. Pride will come for you."