1873

1873:
"The moment I felt the cold, I knew you were gone..."

***

Thunder roared over my head. Flashes of light broke through the grey clouds in the sky. The storm brewed, growing, burning in the gloom of early morning as I stood outside my love's house. Her body had fallen over the side of her bed. Her hand, gentle wrist dangling, held a single petal between two fingers. For minutes, I prayed and hoped that she would wake. But the minutes only added pain to my heart.

I didn't want to know how she died. But I knew why. And I only had myself to blame. If I hadn't looked into her golden eyes for longer than a minute, I could've killed her that evening. I would've been the one to take her life, free her pure soul, and make Him happy.

But I saw the flicker of her soul, a dazzling light that reminded me of my former human life, of freedom. I wanted more than anything to have that again and to have it with her.

My recklessness ripped her from my arms and this world.

"Come." A large hand fell on my shoulder. I turned, looking up into the red eyes of the man who spoke, the only man to have ever shown me kindness. "It is done," he said.

A single tear slid down my face as I looked back at her sleeping body in her room. Her heart struggled to beat for the last few seconds it had left. I wanted to hear it for as long as I could.

"Can I ask who killed her?" I looked up at him. "Was it Pride?"

The man shook his head. So, I faced him, trying to look into his gaze. He never lied to me and wouldn't start now. "Lust? Greed? Sloth?"

Again, he shook his head.

"Gluttony," I tugged at his tattered jacket, "I need to know!"

"You need to run," he said, hardening his gaze. "He is coming, and Pride will help him."

I bit my lip. Rage and fear grasped my heart, and I couldn't breathe. "I cannot leave her here," I whispered. "If there is one thing I'm allowed, please, let me grab and give her a proper burial—"

"He needs her soul, Envy." Gluttony turned, blocking my view of the bedroom. I saw her finger twitch. I reacted, immediately wanting to feel her skin on mine one more time. Gluttony grabbed me by my waist and forced me to remain. "Run while I've bought time, and don't come back," he whispered.

"Gluttony, I—"

"Run," he hissed. He pushed me out of the bedroom and into the living room with his demonic strength. I didn't want to leave and grabbed at the floor. Splinters of wood pressed into my nails. The slight pain meant nothing. I hissed as another tear fell, and I looked up at Gluttony's bearded face.

"Run," he said again. "Save what life you have left."

I looked into his eyes, at the hint of kindness within them. I thought, for a moment, that he'd change his mind. He owed me that much for all I'd done for him.

But as another minute passed and a shadow approached behind him, I knew it was over. She was dead. And I was done. "I cannot live without her, John," I whispered, needing to mention his human name in hopes that it would reach his heart.

He shook his head and reached for the door to close it. "Even if it takes you hundreds of years, Octavio, you will learn."

Was a hundred years enough time to heal a broken heart?