Chapter Six:

Gentle rock music played throughout Prima's Art Gallery. Had there always been music playing? I couldn't remember. I walked into this place with a purpose, a mission, and thought of nothing but the pure soul I was supposed to kill. Now that soul poured me tea.

She poured me tea.

"Okay, so, sorry," Priscilla laughed nervously as she poured hot water into the teacup, "I asked for a selection, but all we got is sleepytime." She clicked her teeth, shrugged, and looked at me. "Looking to go to bed anytime soon?"

I glanced up at her face. Her glow was the same as I remembered. White with flecks of gold like the constellations of the stars. It pulsated, radiating around her. I was taught that souls like hers kept the world from sin, so they needed to die. But I remembered her father and the shit of a man he was; her light didn't save him. Instead, it helped me.

My Priscilla lost her life because I couldn't take it from her.

Has everything I've ever been told a lie? Her soul was erased, wasn't it?

"Um, not really." I gulped, lifting my brows. Regardless, I took the teacup. "But if it helps," I shot her a weak smile, "sleepytime tea is a mix of many teas. Chamomile, spearmint, blackberry leaves, the list goes on."

Her face brightened. She didn't know that, did she? It was on the box, but if there was one thing I learned from mortals today, many didn't read the ingredients; they dove in head first and said, 'fuck it.'

It feels nice to talk again and be normal, doesn't it?

"Well, shit," she giddily laughed as she poured herself a cup, "the more you know."

Well, shit, was right.

I couldn't stop smiling as she sat on the chair across from me. It'd spread even with my uneasiness and confusion. When she settled, slowly sipping her tea, her easygoing aura slipped into me, filling me with happiness.

I chuckled as I pointed at her cup. "The tea should steep, you know," I said.

With her lips against the cup's rim, she blinked at me. "It's hot, though."

Lifting my brows, I chuckled. "But is it ready?"

They're going to be looking for you.

Priscilla pushed one hand into the side of her hair as she pouted at her teacup. Her finger traced the top, drawing the moisture on her skin. Passing her hand over the steam, she hummed and sighed. But then she laughed, looking at me again. "Is anything ever ready?"

Either do what you came to do or run far, far away.

There was my Priscilla. She saw possibility in everything, even when there was none. I remember she always believed waiting meant wasting time, and time wasted wasn't something one could get back. It was why I prolonged my original mission and followed her, chased her, and enthralled myself in everything she did because I hadn't been ready. Was I ready now?

"So," Priscilla cupped her hands in front of her and looked into my eyes, "I have this knack for spotting people in trouble."

My eyes widened. As she'd done, I traced the top of my cup. The heat from the steam warmed my palm.

"I wasn't the person who let you in, or I would've seen it then, but when you were looking at those photos," she bit her lip, "I thought I saw something trembling in you."

"In me?"

Pure souls save people. Don't you remember that, Octavio? Priscilla helped you, didn't she?

"Yeah, it's weird, I know." She sighed. "But when I got close to you, and you ran, I thought..." Twiddling her fingers together, she looked like she was trying to find the right thing to say. If only she knew there wouldn't be anything wrong. She could've given me any answer, even if it was bullshit. I would've eaten it up like I'd done back then.