Chapter Five:

"Fine," Megan muttered, disappearing inside.

Priscilla watched her for a second before looking back at me. She smiled, nodded, then stepped to the curb outside the gallery. With her arms folded over her chest, she could've been furious. She'd said it was her event, and I ran out, making a scene, so angry could've been it. Or irritation. She'd spoken to me just two seconds before I felt like I'd seen a ghost.

But I felt like I did. I am.

There's a slight difference, Octavio. Maybe she's just a person who resembles her.

I leaned back against the pole and bit my bottom lip. "But her soul is bright; her aura is golden. She's the soul I'm supposed to kill."

True. Coincidences could be fate. Did you think of that?

Under the streetlight, I focused on those differences. They were subtle. Her hair color wasn't the same, and my Priscilla's eyes had been bright and gold like the portrait of a beautiful morning. This Priscilla had red hair, and matching red-brown eyes, deep and romantic like the art show behind her. Yet, her skin was the same—soft, caressed by the sun on a summer's day. Her scent was just as lovely, floral, immediately taking me back to that memory on the road when we'd first met.

My Priscilla smelled like the roses she sold. This Priscilla's scent was close, fabricated, yet ignited my heart just the same. And there was her name...

Cross the street, Octavio, take her into your arms. Just do it.

I licked my bottom lip, remembering the warmth of her pressed against my body.

And kill her.

"So, you've got two options, buddy." As Priscilla walked into the street, not bothering to look if a car was coming, I shook my head. To her, it had to look like I was telling her "No," and I didn't want to be bothered. But in truth, I wanted the voices to shut up; they contradicted themselves in my head.

She stopped in front of me, still smiling. "Megan's going to call this guy I know. Nothing major," she opened her hands, showing she meant no harm, "but he's the person I call when these things happen."

What things? Was he familiar with a lover reincarnated, and how to process the situation? Did he have ways to check if this was real? Was I dreaming?

"The other option," she pressed her hand against her chest, "is that you come back inside with me, and we can grab some tea. I've got a table with stuff, so it'll probably help whatever you're dealing with."

My eyes followed the curve of her neck, tracing the line until it disappeared under the collar of her shirt. Then the silver necklace dangling between her breasts pulled my gaze. The small opening in her top left enough to the imagination, but my memories surfaced. I knew what was there and pictured it.

A birthmark on the right side of her ribs, just under the breast. She'd giggled when I touched it, and she'd arch back when I kissed it. When my demon hands pushed the fire over her skin, she'd sigh and relish in the heat as if she welcomed it.

She welcomed everything about you. She knew your soul better than anyone.

"My eyes are up here, buddy." Waving her hand in front of me, she laughed as I blinked. "Focus."

This wasn't a Sloth trick. Gluttony told me to turn down this assignment. I'd been so eager to rejoin the Deadly Seven that I didn't bother to ask Pride any questions. Like a lap dog, I jumped at the command, just as I'd done before.

"How are you here?" I whispered as if she'd understand my question. It was the first time I silently pleaded with the voices to answer for her, for me. But they were silent.