Em jumped up and applauded like crazy. Leia walked up the steps and onto the stage and looked terrified. Halfway to the chair they had set up, she looked up, passed us and into the rear of the audience. She stopped in place, frozen and then waved widely, a huge grin breaking out on her face. Leia seemed to calm down, walked over and sat down. Turning around, I didn't see anything.

She did well for her first recital. Looking over at Namjoon when she got flustered, she made her way through four songs, under twenty minutes in total. The audience clapped politely and she ran over and leaped off the side of the stage, I'm assuming into Namjoon's arms. That was confirmed when he came walking around the stage and towards us, carrying her. When she saw everyone she blushed and pushed against him until he put her down.

Running over to us, she hugged everyone and took a seat. Em's friend wanted to leave until I explained that they could do what they wanted, but everyone around us sat through Leia's performance and I was going to do the same for the children that came after her. It took another 90 minutes, but we listened appreciatively and applauded after each kid played.

"So, kiddo, it looked like you settled down really quickly."

Leia looked up at me. "Yeah, I was really shaking, but then I saw Mr. Mike and I sort of felt okay."

"Big Mike was here?"

"Yeah, in the back."

Huh.

We walked off before the intermediate kids got started, letting their friends and family grab our seats. As we wandered through the Pueblo Mall, I was wondering what the etiquette was. Kelsie and her daughter were clearly tight enough with Em to be invited here, so I thought it was okay to ask them to join us.

"Hey, Kelsie. We were going to go get dinner. Can you guys join us?"

She looked at Em and then gave me a small frown. "Oh, I wish I'd known. I promised to take the kids to Mookie's for tacos." They looked like they were about to object. "And Cold Stone Creamery for ice cream. Why don't you and Em have a good time and I'll steal Namjoon to help me with the kids? You can pick up Leia at my place when you're done."

"Uh, yeah, okay. You sure?"

"Absolutely. Have a great time."

Em had no problems with dinner for adults, so we parted company, letting Kelsie and Namjoon take the kids.

"Park East good? We could stretch our legs afterward at the Riverwalk."

"That's a little pricey. You sure?"

I knew she was careful with her money, but I had the studio, residuals coming in from our first three albums and the money from the songs I wrote with Bryn. Actually, those songs eclipsed my other revenue by a lot. I could eat there three meals a day, every day, but I didn't want to sound like a jackass.

"Well, it's a special occasion and I thought Leia and Namjoon would be with us, so it's actually going to be cheaper than I had planned."

"Okay, sounds great. Am I dressed okay?"

A voice called out from behind us. "Excuse me? I'm sorry, could I get a quick picture?"

Em closed her eyes for a second and spoke from the side of her mouth. "Keep walking. Ignore him."

Hello? It'll just take a minute. I'm a huge fan."

She took my hand and sort of pulled me as she picked up the pace.

"Seriously, just two seconds. If you..."

Em turned and unleashed on the guy.

"Look, I don't know how you behave normally, but I'm out in public trying to talk to a friend. If you're a fan, you have the PO Box. Send something there. Just ... What the hell is wrong with you people? Is being respectful too much to ask? There's a reason I haven't done an appearance in years, but that's not good enough for you, is it?"

Appearance? What the hell was she talking about? The guy looked as confused as I was.

"I, uh, I was talking to Fingers. But, yeah, sorry lady. Are you somebody?"

She turned beet red. "No ... I ... No, sorry. That was totally uncool. I ... Fuck." She turned to me. "Jimin? "

"Yeah, sure." I put my arm over the guy's shoulder and he took a quick selfie with his tongue hanging out and fingers sporting the horns.

"You're the best, man! You keep in touch with the guys?"
"No, not really. Once in a while. Christmas card stuff. I appreciate your listening. I'm sure they do as well. The fans are everything."

"You working on anything new? I follow all your session work."

"Uh, no, not really, but again, thanks. Really kind. Listen, we were heading out to dinner. Maybe I'll see you around."

"Okay, sure. Thanks, man. Made my week."

"No problem. Have a good one."

He turned to Em. "He's the best!"

She raised her eyebrows. "Apparently so."

He pumped his fist and started making a call as he walked away. Em looked at me as we continued towards the exit.

"So, want to explain what the hell that was?"

"I was going to say the same thing. Appearances?"

"You first. Who are the guys? How did he know you?"

I sighed. "Okay, so ... Yeah, this was another lifetime ago. I was one of the founding members of dark Knight. I left after we recorded our third album but before it was released. I sort of still do some session work."

"The metal group? Are you shitting me?"

"Uhm, no. But that's not me anymore."

"Seriously? No lie, you were in one of the most famous bands in the world? And you're here living in here?"

"Yeah. Let's ... Let's not make this a thing, okay?"

She paused for a minute. "Any other secrets? Are you also part of Crosby, Stills, Nash, Young and Franzetti? Got anything on Broadway? Have a few Grammys in your back pocket?"

"Uhm, no on the first two."

She sounded almost pissed. "You've got to be kidding. You have a Grammy?"

"Well, no. More than one."

"Jimin ... How many fucking Grammys do you have?"

"Two for dark Knight, nine for songs I've written with Bryn."

"Who ... Nine? You have nine Grammys? You ... What the living fuck? No one says anything to me? Does Namjoon know who you are? What am I saying, of course he knows who you are. And he never said anything to me."

"Not his fault. I asked him not to."

"Why? So you could play some sort of game of not letting the stupid local chick know she was dealing with some rock legend? Was it fun? Did the two of you have a good laugh behind my back?"

I was starting to get pissed. "It's not like that. At all. I left the band because ... Look, some things happened. I ... I had to get out of that life. It fucked everything up. It's not me anymore and I haven't been that guy in a decade. I'd give up absolutely everything if I could redo my life and never have joined that fucking band, okay? You have no fucking clue what that cost me, so yeah, now I stay in the studio and work on songs for other people. You have a problem with that, it's on you."

She stopped walking and paused before speaking. "I ... yeah. I guess I can understand that. Sorry. I shouldn't have jumped your shit. It's just a lot, you know? Let's just go get dinner and let me take this all in."

"What? Seriously? No, I don't think so, Em. What did you mean about appearances? I'm not letting that go so easily."

_____________

𝙏𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙚 𝙞𝙨 𝙖𝙡𝙡 𝙛𝙞𝙘𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣𝙖𝙡, 𝙄 𝙝𝙤𝙥𝙚 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙙𝙤𝙣'𝙩 𝙝𝙖𝙩𝙚 𝙢𝙚.

𝙏𝙝𝙖𝙣𝙠 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙛𝙤𝙧 𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙙𝙞𝙣𝙜.

Saranghae 💜