𝑋𝐼𝐼

Dearest Reader,

The Bridgertons and Hackleys have returned from their stay at the Hackley country manor however I am afraid there is no good news. Mr Bridgerton has not proposed to Miss Marie Hackley -who has broken her foot and bed bounded for the rest of the season. We all hope for Miss Marie Hackley to make a fast and safe recovery however it appears there shall be no proposal to the diamond of the season.

Lady Whistledown's Society Papers, 24th June 1815

꧁𑁍꧂

Esther was unable to sleep a single second that night. She stayed shut off in her room, her legs pulled up to her chest and she sobbed as quietly as she could into her hands.

She attempted to drown out the voices of doctors coming from her sister's bedchambers. Esther longed to check up on her but she knew it was better to give her space. She was ashamed and embarrassed and utterly guilty.

Finally, she was able to fall asleep as the sun began to rise up again from the hills. She awoke to find herself tucked into her covers, a tray of tea at her bedside and Anne perched at the end of her bed.

"Good morning, dear. How are you?" Her step mother asked with a kind smile. Esther usually told Anne everything she had known and felt since her mother passed, but this time she could not tell her the truth.

"I am fine, just tired." Esther lied. Anne reached forward to take her step-daughter's shaking hand. "I understand that you are stressing about Marie but trust me, she is fine. Would you like to see her?"

Esther longed to check on her sister but she knew it was not a smart move. "I do not think that is a smart idea currently." She sighed.

Anne watched her sigh deeply. "What had happened? Esther, you can tell me." She softly whispered.

Esther could only shake her head as tears collected in her eyelashes. She had told Anne everything since her mother had died, but she could not tell her this.

"Im afraid I can not, Anne." She sniffed up as she wiped away a tear which danced down her rosey cheek. Anne nodded before leaning forwards snd wrapping her arms around her in a hug.

"I shall leave you be." The older woman smiled as she slowly stood up again to left Esther in her bedchambers. But she paused at the door. "All of the Bridgertons have returned to London early."

Esther looked up at her step-mother. "Im afraid the proposal will not happen now Marie is bed bound for weeks." Anne let a disappointed sigh as she closed the door behind her.

Albert, who had been sleeping peacefully on a bed beside her own, woke up to his owner's muffled cries. He let out a bark as he jumped up and crawled into her lap.

"Oh, Albert, what have I done? I have ruined everything." The dog let out a sad whimper as another tear raced down her hot face and dropped off her jaw. "I must see Marie."

꧁𑁍꧂

Esther had forced herself to drag her feet towards Marie's door. She held up her hand but paused before knocking and letting out a deep sigh.

"Who is it?" Marie called out from the other side of the white wooden door. "E-Esther." She stuttered in reply. "I do not want to-"

"Please, Marie. Please." She softly begged. From the other side of the door, she heard her sister let out a sigh before calling out, "Come in."

Slowly, Esther turned the handle and her eyes fell upon her red eyed sister whose foot had been elevated by several cushions. "What did the doctor say? Are you alright?"