𝐼𝑉

Dearest Reader, it has been reported to this Author that a large amount of gentleman have been seen visiting the diamond of the season, Miss Marie Hackley. We shall have to wait to see which noble bachelor this season's diamond snatches.

Lady Whistledown's Society Papers, 4th June 1815

꧁𑁍꧂

Mary and Edward Hackley towered over their eldest son, their faces red with fury. "You are forbidden to marry that Italian whore!" His father screamed, his voice bouncing off the manor walls and cutting into the young man's heart.

"We shall not allow you to besmirch the Hackley name like this!" His mother's screams bellowed loudly.

The young gentleman, Henry, stormed out without another word. The black sky above began to cry as he mounted his white stallion and rode through the rain to a small cottage upon a hill.

It was secluded away, surrounded by thick oak trees. He dismounted his horse, tying its reins to a fence before hurrying to the wooden door.

A beautiful woman opened the heavy oak which shielded her from rain after he loudly knocked, trying to be heard off the raging storm. The bright smile when she saw the man soon disappeared at the sight of his red face.

Henry's eyes filled with tears as he wrapped his arms around the woman he loved. She sighed and rubbed his back as his wet coat soaked her dress.

However, soon after, the young man's father passed away from illness and the Earl title was passed to Henry. His first plan was to marry the woman he loved, an Italian painter.

But the married pair were shamed out of London and forced to live in the Hackley country Estate. It was a gorgeous manor, with climbing vines and blooming flowers.

As their only daughter slept soundly in her crib, Henry and Caterina lay beside one another in their grand bed. "My cousin sent me another letter."

Caterina sat up at her husband's announcement.
"You must ignore those letters." She sighed, placing her hand upon his cheek. "He wants me to return to London." Henry paused. "Without a marriage."

Henry took his wife's hand off his cheek to hold it tightly. "I would never do that. Never." He sat up to press his lips gently against hers as the golden necklace hung around her neck shone in the candle light.

꧁𑁍꧂

Esther sat upon the light blue sofa of the Hackley's drawing room, fiddling with a golden necklace fastened around her.

The room was flooded with presents and bouquets and young gentleman, all with the intention of whooing the diamond of the season, Maria.

And although the drawing room was crowded, the only one near Esther was Albert -her dog- who lay perched upon her lap.

However her head snapped up when she heard someone proudly stride into the drawing room do the manor.

Benedict Bridgerton's gaze fell upon the eldest Hackley daughter, a glare plastered on her face. "My sister is currently occupied." They both glanced over at the numerous gentleman surrounding Marie. "You can come back later." It felt more of a command than a suggestion.

"No, no, it's perfectly fine. I can wait." The gentleman smirked before moving a bouquet wrapped in an amber ribbon from beside her and sitting down.

A groan escaped her rosey lips which made the gentleman smirk slyly. "Oh, I am sorry. Do you not want me to sit here?" Anne, who has been quietly observing, caught eye contact with Esther.

"Of course not, sir." She stated, her voice filled with forced sweetness. "In fact, it was the very seat I prayed for you to take."

Benedict attempted to hide his boyish grin as he glanced down at the sleeping dog which lay upon her lap. "Albert is an exquisite judge of character."

The tall gentleman held out his hand to pet the dog however he growled and barked at him. "See." She shrugged with a smirk.

"Esther! Get him out of here!" Anne exclaimed which made the crowd of gentleman alter their gazes upon the eldest daughter. "My greatest apologies Mr Bridgerton." Anne hurried to the man's side.

"I can ensure you Mrs Hackley; I am perfectly fine." Anne smiled at the gentleman before turning to her eldest with a sharp look painted on her face.

"Take him outside, please." She quietly ordered through gritted teeth. Esther, who was wise enough to know not to argue with Anne, nodded and called Albert towards her.

"I can accompany you, Miss Hackley." Benedict suggested to the girl, finding joy in watching her groan. From the corner of her dark eyes, she noticed Anne's hard glare and so she forced herself to wear a smile and reply with, "I would be delighted, Mr Bridgerton."

He took her arm and the pair walked down the hallway towards the back garden, Albert trailing behind. When they reached the emerald green garden, Albert ran out and began to bark at a fluttering butterfly.

"You can return back now. I ensure you that I am capable to walk out of my own garden." Esther told him. "I am very sure of that." He took a step forward to stand beside her on the stone staircase.

"Then why do you intent upon staying?" She asked, annoyance clear within her voice. "Because," He leaned back upon the brick wall on the manor. "I need to know why you hate me so?"

Esther turned to watch Albert run through the grass rather than the gentleman whom she found herself in conversation with. "You insulted my cousin's work."

"And I apologised." He was quick to point out. Esther pushed a strand of hair which had fallen out of her bun and into her face behind her ear. "You appear conceited, sir."

"Conceited?" Benedict repeated with a curious brow. "Arrogant, stuck-up, your head far up ones-" Esther announced a word which would not be appropriate to repeat.

Benedict smirked. It was certain that she was unlike any young lady had met before. She was not willing to embarrass herself to catch his attention, and that made her somewhat attractive.

Esther knew in her mind that she should not of acted in such an inappropriate  manner in front of the most eligible bachelor in all of London, especially one wanting to court her sister.

However the thought of Maria being courted by Benedict sent her blood boiling. "You can not be here just to know why I dislike you." He hummed in agreement.

"No, I am not." Benedict cleared his throat and pulled down his coat to straighten it. "I am here for the same reason every other gentleman is here." Esther glared at him which only made him smirk. "Your sister."

"You shall never court my sister!" She exclaimed loudly than what was appropriate. "I believe that it is not your decision to make." Benedict pointed out.

"I know my sister well enough to know she would never be courted by such an egotistical man as yourself." Esther did not decide to humour him anymore, and she left to walk back through the manor to the drawing room.

Benedict was not far behind her and when he entered the room, Anne smiled sweetly at him. "Mr Bridgerton, my daughter is free now."