𝑉𝐼𝐼

Dearest Reader,

Although it is only early into this year's social season, it has been reported to this author that Miss Marie Hackley has already rejected 4 proposals, but one can not blame the diamond. It appears she is waiting for a proposal off Mr Benedict Bridgerton who has been courting the young lady since the beginning of the season. One must hope he makes haste with the proposal before she becomes bored and accepts another gentleman.

Lady Whistledown's Society Papers, 14th of June 1815

꧁𑁍꧂

A young Esther sat upon the emerald fresh grass of the Hackley country estate , the blades gently tickling her legs, as she watched intently at her mother painting.

Her mother focused carefully on each brush stroke she made against the canvas as it slowly transformed from plain white to a beautiful enticing countryside scene, humming sweetly as she did so. Esther would be entertained by her mother painting and softly humming for hours.

꧁𑁍꧂

The eldest Hackley daughter lay in her bed, a feather pillow supporting her head. The loose thin cotton nightgown brushed against her skin as she gazed around the room, her dark eyes hovering over the landscape painted by her mother.

Esther had very little hobbies to help pass the time. She was terrible at needlework, pianoforte and poetry. Horse riding was one way she passed the time usually, however her stallion Thomas was residing at the Hackley country estate.

Life as a young lady must of been the most dreary life one could live, thought Esther. During the social season, ladies either stayed at home sitting prettily as gentleman shower her with gifts or attend balls.

Esther, however, had no gentleman chasing for her hand and she dreaded the balls rather than anticipate them.

The only simple hobby that sprung to her mind was painting. It couldn't of been that difficult, surely. And she knew exactly who to ask for help.

꧁𑁍꧂

"You must hasten your step, cousin." Francis announced as he led Esther through the Royal Academy. It was late into the afternoon therefore it was rather silent excluding their footsteps and the crackle of candles.

Displayed along the corridors; paintings and statues beautifully crafted by students of the Academy. It would of been seen as a crime to not pause to admire such masterpieces.

"Francis, dear friend!" A sudden deep jolly voice exclaimed. Esther turned her head from a portrait of a woman to see a gentleman she had never seen before shaking her cousin's hand.

Esther was too enchanted by the statues of the Virgin Mary that could not recall the name of the gentleman as Francis introduced her to him.

The mysterious man nodded in her directions before continuing his conversation with Francis. Esther knew it was clear he had no intentions of discussing any topic with her.

As she waited for the gentlemans' conversation to end, she became impatient and started to wander aimlessly down surrounding hallways.

Along one of the many identical corridors of the academy, a door was cracked open which allowed both candle light and mutters to flood into the hallway.

Curious, Esther approached the door and glanced in. Her dark eyes laid upon Benedict Bridgerton sat at an easel, a paint brush in his hand. Opposite him, a woman scandalously dressed with only a thin silk sheet to cover her.

She knew she shouldn't of been watching the pair however Esther continued to observe Benedict rise from his chair and kiss the woman of which he painted.