𝑋

Dearest Readers,

With the most infamous and respected bachelor absent from London dances this week, many young ladies gave expressed the boredom and unfortunate looks if many of this season's bachelors.

Lady Whistledown Society Papers, 21th June 1815

꧁𑁍꧂

Esther rubbed the sleep out of her dark eyes as she sat up in her four poster bed, her spine against the wooden bedboard. Her black and ginger King Charles Spaniel slept peacefully at the end of her bed.

It seemed that last night she had not closed the curtains properly as a ray of sunshine blinded her. She swung her legs off the side of the bed and onto the cold wooden floor.

She reached her arms out to pull apart the blue curtains to light up the shaded bedroom. It was a beautiful day outside, the sky was clear and the birds sang their sweet song.

It would be an exquisite day to paint the landscape after breakfast, and that was exactly what she planned to do. A sudden knock st the door made her call out, "Come in!"

The handle turned and Isabella (her lady's maid) greeted her with a warm smile and "Good morning Miss Esther."

꧁𑁍꧂

Esther let out a yawn as she walked down the hallways to the manor, her light blue gown with puffed sleeves flowing behind her. Her dark curls were tied up into a bun to keep it out her face.

The echo of chatters and clattering flooded the corridors as she approached the breakfast room. But she paused when she saw only Eloise and Benedict sitting at the table.

"Oh, are you the only ones awake?" Esther asked, feeling rude that she interrupted their conversation. "No, no. Our mother and Mrs Hackley shall be appearing soon." Eloise explained.

Esther nodded before turning around to leave, planning on returning later as she felt rude interrupting the siblings' conversation.

"You know you can take a seat. We do not bite." Benedict laughed. Silently, Esther turned back and took a seat opposite Benedict. "We were just focussing how lovely this breakfast is." Eloise stated.

"My favourite is certainly the honey cake. Our cook is outstanding." Esther announced to the Bridgerton girl.

"Really?" Eloise replied with her head tilted slightly. "Benedict is constantly devouring all of the honey cake at our breakfast table." She continued with a laugh.

"Well, I am thankful you have left a few slices." Esther laughed as she picked up a slice of the sweet cake onto her plate. "So, since my brother is to marry your sister-"

"Eloise!" Benedict gritted his teeth as he glared at his younger sister. Ignoring her brother's protest Eloise added, "We should get to know each other. So tell me, what are your interests?"

Esther was taken back by the girl's forwardness however she admired it greatly. "I quite enjoy horse riding and painting, mostly landscapes; I must admit I struggle at portraits." Esther said.

"Well then, you practice them with the portrait you promised me." Benedict smirked, sending a comfused look over his sister's face. "I do also enjoy the occasional poetry as well." She added.

"You are strangely similar to Benedict." Eloise admitted, before nudging Benedict. "Perhaps you chose the wrong sister." She joked.

"Eloise," Benedict growled with sharp eyes. Just then, Anne and Violet Bridgerton entered. "Good morning Eloise, Benedict, Miss Esther." The dowager viscountess greeted.