"Keya... you're bleeding again."

Oh.

"Don't worry. I'm fine. Just take care of the Avatar." The words left her lips before she could stop them.

The instinct to not be a bother to these people was strong in Keya, but Katara would not allow it. The younger teen sighed and handed the Avatar's unconscious body over to her brother. "Bring him back to his chambers, Sokka. I'll be there soon."

With that said, she turned back to Keya. "And you're coming with me, young lady."

The Earth Kingdom girl raised a brow at her Water Tribe sister. Did Katara always take on this motherly role? She had noticed Katara exhibiting this kind of behaviour ever since they met up in the catacombs. Considering the fact that nobody looked surprised at the way that Katara behaved, Keya presumed that this was a common occurrence. She followed Katara below deck as the girl led her to her chambers to check on her old wound.

It was silent for a while. The two teenagers walked through the metal hallways, each lost in their own thoughts and too awkward to speak much. That was, before Keya coughed softly.

"You know I'm older than you, right?" She asked carefully.

Katara frowned and looked at her senior. "Yes, I'm aware. What's this about?"

Keya sighed and pondered the best words to use. "I just mean... you're not responsible for me, that's all."

Katara stopped and put her hands on her hips. "What's that supposed to mean? I don't know if you've realised this, but you're hurt and I'm the one who's about to heal you... again."

"Yes, I know- and thanks for that," Keya hurriedly added, "but you're still not responsible for me. I'm older than you, so... ugh," she grumbled to herself, "why is this so difficult? All I'm trying to say is that you don't have to take responsibility for my well-being. I know what it's like to have to take on a caring role when you're young, so I just want to let you know that, y'know, you can also lean on me or ask me for help if you want. Since I'm older..."

Keya rubbed her neck awkwardly (a trait she begrudgingly realised she'd picked up from Zuko) and let her eyes wander across the metal interior as they pleased. Katara was silent for a moment. Never before had someone emphasised so strongly that she could lean on them. She had taken on the motherly role for others for so long it no longer felt anything other than natural.

"...Thank you..." The words were barely more than a whisper, but they were filled with serendipitous gratitude nonetheless.

Keya smiled softly and gave the girl a pat on the back. "No problem, Katara. Now," she grimaced and clutched her stomach with a painful laugh, "please show me the way to the bandages."

"Keya!" Katara gasped and immediately started fussing over the older girl again. "How did this even happen again? I told you not to try to train anymore and-"

"Hey! I wasn't training this time! It was your boyfriend who slammed me against the wall." The airbender defended herself against her companion's accusations quickly.

Katara's cheeks darkened with embarrassment. "He's not my- my boyfriend!"

Keya ignored her Water Tribe junior's protests as they walked into her room for her healing session. "Although, come to think of it... perhaps I should try out that move..."

Katara rolled her eyes and sighed with amused desperation. "You're hopeless. I don't know how Mister Iroh and Prince Zuko put up with all your training."

Keya swallowed thickly.

"Right..." The familiar sensation of grief crept back up her chest. Keya's bright grey eyes stung with sadness as she was reminded of her old companions. The bitter sting of betrayal was not far behind.