42. Fight For My Family

''It is our fate, I think, to crave always what is given to another. If one possesses a thing, the other will take it away." Helaena remarked.

'' Yes, Princess.'' The handmaiden agreed, she sat next to the babe as the door opened. Helaena looked back to her need point.

''Where is Aegon?'' otto demanded looking around.

''N-Not here.' Helaena answered as though Aegon was ever with her.

''He's not in his rooms.'' Alicent informed her. Otto marched back out "Father." Alicent called after him but he didn't stop.

''What's happened?' Helaena asked and Alicent sat next to her.

''Your father...'' Alicent began.

''There is a beast beneath the boards.'' Helaena hissed.

''Oh, my dearest love.'' Alicent said hugging her.

+

Otto pushed open Aemond and Aisha's door.

"Is Aegon here?" Otto asked looking around.

"no." Aemond answered confused. "Why would he be?"

"Viserys." Aisha said softly.

"Yes." Otto answered before heading out.

"What's going on?" Aemond asked looking to Aisha.

"The king is dead." Aisha remarked. "Rhaenyra will ascend the throne."

"I don't think my mother will allow that." Aemond remarked.

"That's why they are looking for Aegon. They want him to-" Aisha realized.

"But he is running and hiding instead." Aemond told her stiffly.

"Why would he run? They want to make him king." Aisha remarked.

"Aegon is not fit to be king." Aemond told her confidently.

+

''Ser Erryk.'' Otto remarked walking up to him in the gallery sharpening his blade. ''Where's the Prince?''

''Forgive me, Lord Hand. I do not know.'' Erryk admitted rising before him.

''But you're sworn to protect him.'' Oto reminded

''He exploits his authority to order me away, and then he evades me, my Lord." Erryk answered

''I believe he may have left the Keep secretly, gone into the city. Find him.'' Otto instructed and Erryk nodded immediately. 'Take no one else but your brother. And remove your white cloaks. None can know who you are or what you seek... including the Queen."

" My Lord." Erryk agreed

''Bring him to me, and me alone, Ser Erryk.''

+

Rhaenys moved to her door only to find it locked. She pulled and pulled to no avail.

''What is the meaning of this?'' she shouted before running to the window to see the people being herded out of the keep.

"Guard. Guard!" Rhaenys demanded. But no one came. "I want to see my daughter!" Rhaenys demanded. "I want to see Aisha!" Rhaenys banged on the door. "What's the meaning of this."

+

''Prince Aegon's not to be found within the castle walls, Your Grace." Criston informed Alicent. "Your father has sent Ser Erryk into the city to find him. Ser Erryk knows Aegon. He has the advantage." Criston remarked and Alicent nodded.

"I trust again to you, Ser Criston, and to your loyalty." Alicent told him and Criston nodded. "Aegon must be found, and he must be brought to me. The very fate of the Seven Kingdoms depends on it." Alicent instructed. Criston nodded. ''Everything you feel for me... as your Queen." Alicent whispered bringing her face closer to his. Aisha glanced back at them from the couch with a little chuckle before nudging Aemond.

''I will not fail you.'' Criston assured.

"I'll come with you." Aemond said getting up.

"Me too." Aisha said.

''That would not be my desire, Aemond.'' Alicent told him honestly. ''If anything has happened... to either of you.''

''Cole needs me, Mother. Ser Erryk isn't the only one who knows of Aegon's doings.'' Aemond reminded her. Aisha glanced over at him not liking how he said that.

"And lets face it, they need me." Aisha agreed.

"Fine... Aisha wait just a moment." Alicent begged reaching out for her. "I..."

"You want Aegon to ascend the throne." Aisha confirmed and Alicent nodded. "I told you years ago I don't want Rhaenyra on the throne. Daemon either. I stand with you, your grace."

"Thank you for that... your mother..." Alicent began.

"She isn't my mother." Aisha hissed. "She made her choice, she chose them. Do what you want with her." Aisha said stiffly.

"You don't mean that." Alicent told her softly stepping closer to her. Aisha hesitated her face pinched as she pursed her lips.

"I..." she let out a deep sigh. "I love my parents. My father... I believe he is still alive, out there and as long as he lives, I know he will side with me. He has no love for Rhaenyra or her bastard children. I have no hatred for Jace and luke." Aisha informed her. 'But they don't deserve the crown or driftmark."

"Your mother has been confined to her chambers." Alicent informed her.

"Good. You will want to take Meleys as well." Aisha told her. "They already have more dragons then us, bigger dragons than us. We can't afford to lose Meleys as well."

"Smart girl. I always said you were smart." Alicent remarked.

"She will not be happy." Aisha remarked. "I could talk to her." Aisha offered.

"Do you think she will listen to you?" Alicent countered and Aisha thought about it.

"My father would. My mother might be a lost cause." She admitted. "She has wanted a crown for years. She wanted it and Viserys got it. Now Rhaenyra offered her crown by proxy. Her granddaughter on the throne after Rhaenyra's passing." Aisha picked at her nails. "I think... a long time ago my mother would have made a good queen but her vision is clouded, her purpose is clouded with all the what ifs." Aisha told her.

"I think you are right." Alicent agreed. "Leave the search for Aegon to the boys," Alicent offered. "Go to Meleys, she knows you. Try to-"

"I can contain her." Aisha agreed. "Seasmoke." she remarked. "He is at driftmark. They will try to control him as well." 

"You think you can get them both?" Alicent asked softly. 

"I can." Aisha assured. 

"You are brave. Going up against them." Alicent remarked

"I'm just fighting for my real family." Aisha told her confidently. "I'm a Targaryen now."