But know that I will always love you

"Yes that's great. Listen Val, I've got to go," I said.

"Now? My ideas are still flowing though!"

"Then get a pen and paper because I've really got to go."

"Alright, alright. I got it. I'll talk to you later, then."

"Yes. Goodbye, Val."

"Goodbye, Wheaters."

I could practically hear her grinning over my stupid nickname. 'Click' I shoved my phone back into my pocket and straightened my tie.

It was 3:30. I was sitting under a pine tree in front of a elementary school, wringing my hands, anxiously.

Chell's final class would be letting out in minutes. I was so nervous, but I knew what I had to do. And I HAD to do it. This little girl was my one true friend and I couldn't let her go. Not for Valerie, not for my job, and not for Project Android. Not for anything.

A faint ringing sounded from the inside of the building. Any minute now.

A flood of children came out of the front doors. My eyes quickly scanned the crowd.

There she was. A little black head bobbing through the children.

"Chell," I called out.

She heard me, but she didn't look over.

"Chell, please come over here," I called a little louder.

She glanced briefly at me, then turned away again.

I weaved my way through the kids and walked behind her. "Please don't ignore me."

"I'm sorry, I just don't want to talk right now." She sounded morose.

I quickened my pace and knelt down in front of her. "Please don't go, love. I just want to tell you something."

She looked away.

I took her hands in mine. "I'm sorry for what I said. You ARE important to me. More important than Valerie, more important than my job, than anything. I can't do it without you. I said you were my only friend and I meant it! I don't want to lose you."

She finally looked at me. Her eyes were red and puffy, like she had been crying. "I know you're sorry. I shouldn't have been so rude to you. I can't make it without you either........ It's just that....." She sniffed.

"What's the matter?"

Tears tolled from her eyes. "Oh, Uncle Wheatley. I missed you."