fourteen

that one time i brought a priest to a gunfight

Aurora Mae Morgan, shoves her hands inside the pockets of her jeans, a big goofy grin on her lips when she spots two brunettes walking toward her. "Hey! I brought a priest! Let's exorcise this demonic motherfucker!"

"You brought a what?!" Hope exclaims, quickening her steps—which is concerning due to the fact that she is walking around in those high heeled combat boots.

Those should be outlawed. Seriously Hope's gonna break her ankle and then Aurora would have to deal with her sorry ass.

"A priest." Aurora says with a shrug—like it's the most normal thing in the world. "What? It worked in the exorcist." She then quickly turns to Father Wilson. "We'll not really—" the priest died, right? She kind of slept through the end. "But I'm sure we'll get here."

"I haven't seen the movie."

"Good. That's great." Aurora laughs nervously.

"Father, meet my friends. Hope is the tribrid I told you about and Josie is a witch—Lizzie's twin sister." She gestures the girls. "Girls, Father Wilson."

"Where's Lizzie?" Josie asks, ignoring them.

"I dunno—MG came and pissed her off. Something about a dude named Sebastian. Might or might not be real—I didn't quite get that. Because he was imaginary at one point but now he isn't? Anyways she told me to wait but—I didn't." Aurora replies with a shrug.

"You left my sister alone when there is a homical demon missing?" Josie hisses. And she quickly crosses her arms over her chest.

"Homical demon wants to kill me. Believe me she's safer without me around." The hunter rolls her eyes.

"Where's Mr. Roboto?" She asks a moment later. "And Doc."

"Kurutta died. Oni got him. Dad is dealing with cops."

"Oh-wow. There's a lot to unpack there." Aurora mutters.

"Where's the exorcism?" Hope asks, stepping closer to the girl.

Aurora and Father Wilson share a look. "About that I got good news and bad news..." Aurora starts. "The bad news is... The grimore's gone. Someone stole it and compelled him." She gestures the priest with her head. "He doesn't remember jack shit. The good news—Lizzie found a new one in wikifandom.com—from some movie. At least we can stall Dag or" nervous laughter "humor him—maybe if we have enough faith it'll work."

Josie grits her teeth and takes a calming breath.

"So you're saying the only reliable source we have is wikifandom.com? And—and you brought a civilian into this mess?"

"He needs to be compelled. That's why I brought him. And it's probably one of your fanged friends who stole my family's grimore but you don't see me whining do you?" Aurora barks out.

"Guys—cut it out." Hope says but neither of the girls listen.

"I don't know what's your problem—" Josie starts taking a step toward the girl and Aurora crosses her arms over her chest. "My problem is—"

"I said cut it out!" Hope yells and the near street light near them blows up, leaving them in darkness. The hunter snaps her head up to the tribrid—her eyes are glowing yellow.

Aurora didn't think she'd find that attractive.

"Ah—Hope you make me all tingly when you get assertive like that." She manages to mask her actual fluster with sarcasm. Hope ignores her and turns to the very confused priest with a soft smile.