foreword

"𝙼𝚎𝚒𝚗 𝚅𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚛, 𝚖𝚎𝚒𝚗 𝚅𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚛, 𝚞𝚗𝚍 𝚑ö𝚛𝚎𝚜𝚝 𝚍𝚞 𝚗𝚒𝚌𝚑𝚝,
𝚆𝚊𝚜 𝙴𝚛𝚕𝚔ö𝚗𝚒𝚐 𝚖𝚒𝚛 𝚕𝚎𝚒𝚜𝚎 𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚙𝚛𝚒𝚌𝚑𝚝?"
-𝚓𝚘𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚗 𝚠𝚘𝚕𝚏𝚐𝚊𝚗𝚐 𝚟𝚘𝚗 𝚐𝚘𝚎𝚝𝚑𝚎

"𝙼𝚎𝚒𝚗 𝚅𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚛, 𝚖𝚎𝚒𝚗 𝚅𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚛, 𝚞𝚗𝚍 𝚑ö𝚛𝚎𝚜𝚝 𝚍𝚞 𝚗𝚒𝚌𝚑𝚝,𝚆𝚊𝚜 𝙴𝚛𝚕𝚔ö𝚗𝚒𝚐 𝚖𝚒𝚛 𝚕𝚎𝚒𝚜𝚎 𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚙𝚛𝚒𝚌𝚑𝚝?"-𝚓𝚘𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚗 𝚠𝚘𝚕𝚏𝚐𝚊𝚗𝚐 𝚟𝚘𝚗 𝚐𝚘𝚎𝚝𝚑𝚎

"𝙵𝚊𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛, 𝚏𝚊𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛, 𝚍𝚘 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚛
𝚠𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝙴𝚛𝚕𝚔𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚜𝚘𝚏𝚝𝚕𝚢 𝚙𝚛𝚘𝚖𝚒𝚜𝚎𝚜 𝚖𝚎?"
-𝚓𝚘𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚗 𝚠𝚘𝚕𝚏𝚐𝚊𝚗𝚐 𝚟𝚘𝚗 𝚐𝚘𝚎𝚝𝚑𝚎

First time it happened she was four. It was just before Aunt Ada and Little Kenny died. She barely remembers the encounter, bits and pieces really. She remembers is the white light, though. Maybe it was his hair. Maybe it was his suit. She doesn't know.

She told her brothers about the man in the white suit. They hadn't seen him.

He had white hair and porcelain skin, slim and a perfectly sculpted face. Like a statue, something so beautiful.

She thought he looked like an angel back then. Little did she know an angel was the farthest thing from what he was.

Next time it happened she was 9, nursing a broken arm, befriending a kid named Lara in the hospital. The man appeared again, told her she was his to take. That when she was old enough, she'd understand. She'd never understood it. Ace and Zep came and he vanished. Lara died that night.

The last time it happened her mom was packing her suitcase, tears streaming down her cheeks, wedding band on the nightstand.

It was the last time she saw her mom. And the man in the white suit was gone.

Uncle Jay took her to a voodoo priest and just like that the memories of him were gone, too.

It was as if he'd never existed. Aurora Morgan continued her life, kicked monster ass, fell in love and never thought about the man in the white suit.

Until the spring of that awful year she crawled out of Malivore. With more missing memories and a mark on her stomach.

Somehow it only felt like a beginning of something grim.