And so, Devi and Léon broke up, and she watched his plane fly away, never to return. She regretted the decision but knew in her heart that she'd made the right choice. She buried her love for Léon and vowed never to let herself get close to anyone again, fearing that she would lose them like she lost Léon.

But two weeks after Léon left the country, Devi discovered she was pregnant.

Devi never envisioned herself as becoming a mother; she always thought children were annoying and gross. But, she couldn't bring herself to get an abortion as Léon had told her about his desire to have children and how hard it would be for him due to the damage caused by his cancer treatments. To Devi, terminating the pregnancy felt like she would terminate Léon's only chance to have a child.

So, she didn't get an abortion and gave birth to a healthy baby nine months later. But to Devi's shock, the baby was born with congenital cataracts, making them blind. The doctors said they could do nothing to remove the cataracts, but the baby could live a successful life with the proper support.

But Devi didn't know how to raise a baby, let alone a blind baby. She couldn't afford the support they would need or give them the life they deserved. So she surrendered the baby to the hospital, walking away from the last gift Léon had given her.

She never knew what became of the baby after the hospital sent them to the local orphanage. She used to walk by it every day, telling herself that one day she would visit her child. But every day, she kept on walking past the building. A few times, she thought she saw a glimpse of a child staring blindly out of a window, but whenever she got closer, the child would be gone.

She finally visited the orphanage about ten years after giving up the baby. But to her surprise, the workers told her that Kavi had taken the child a few years earlier. Devi has no idea how her father found out about his grandkid, but she hopes that her child was living a good life wherever they were.

Knowing her child was living somewhere she would probably never find them, Devi moved on with her life. The only people who knew about her child were her coworkers, who stopped asking about them when Devi became hostile when they brought the subject up.

In reality, Devi was ashamed of her past decisions. While she never wanted to be a mother, she could have tried to find Léon and give him the choice of raising the baby. Instead, she took the coward's way out and hated to admit it. So, Devi started acting like she despised her child and that it was their fault for being born blind. After many years of thinking like this, Devi destroyed her love for her baby.

It wouldn't be until decades later that she would make another grave mistake. She accidentally killed Randy "Bodhi" Green when the man confronted her about abandoning her child over 30 years ago. Devi couldn't believe that her past actions were returning to haunt her, and she tried to escape her problems again. But unlike when she abandoned her baby, Bodhi wouldn't let her run.

A struggle ensued, leading to Devi shoving Bodhi away from her. But she pushed him too hard, and they were too close to the electrified train tracks. Bodhi landed on the bars and died before he even realized what was happening.

Devi couldn't believe what she had done. She fled the scene, hoping no one would find out what had happened. But she should have known she couldn't get away with murder; after an intense investigation, The Bureau arrested her for her crime, and she was sentenced to 8 years in jail.

But the hardest part about being arrested was learning that the agents were friends with the child she had abandoned 34 years ago. Now she really believed that her past was coming to get her. She confessed that she had made mistakes in the past, the greatest being that she never tried to find her child after Kavi took them away.

She was grateful Adalet told her that Nathan was doing well, and Devi hopes that maybe one day, if he is willing, they can meet and she can learn about who her son became. And perhaps she can also learn about her father and Léon.

But for now, she will serve her prison sentence for murdering an innocent man who deserved to live a good, long life.

Story Information

First appeared: Blackout Dead

Trivia

* If her parents hadn't divorced and she didn't grow up under her mother's negativity and bitterness, Devi would have been a much kinder person. Sadly, due to the change in Mala's personality after the divorce, Devi grew to have a negative outlook on life

     * The only time she wasn't such a negative person was with Léon. After he left, the negativity slowly returned

* She decided to become a nurse after spending time in the hospital when her appendix burst. She was fascinated by what the nurses were doing and wanted to be like them when she grew up

* She used to stay up for as long as she could, waiting for her father to come home from work. On the nights that she couldn't stay up any longer, she made her mother promise that she would get Kavi to give her a good night kiss when he returned

     * Sadly, unknown to Devi, most nights, Kavi never came home. Mala would lie and say that he did to spare her daughter's feelings

* Kavi might have been gone a lot because of work, but Devi always loved her father, even if she didn't show it. She knew he was doing important work and saving people, so in her child's mind, he was a hero, and sometimes heroes have to make sacrifices they don't want to make

     * Devi just wished she wasn't a part of his sacrifices

* She loves listening to jazz music; it reminds her of Léon

A/N: I've had Devi's profile ready for a while; I was just lazy and kept putting off the final edits😜

Next up on the list for a profile is Kavi. I still have to make his design, so it might take longer than usual to get his posted, but you never know with me...😆