Chapter 2

Sneaking away at night from my annoying-as-hell-foster-mother was not something that I would call easy. But over time, I had learnt tricks and ways to get away from her watchful eye after dark, so today was no different from all those other nights I'd snuck out to see friends. The only thing different about tonight was the fact that I didn't completely know where I was going, or what to expect when I finally got to the destination. All I knew was that this random guy chucked a note in my locker saying to meet him at the bell tower at 10:00pm. As you can tell, he was really descriptive about it. I mean, who wants to meet someone at ten o'clock anyway? I knew it was dangerous and I could be heading into something I really didn't want to get messed up in, but, something about that man just seemed, calming. Familiar. Like . . . I could trust him no matter what. I knew that it was stupid, he was just a stranger, but I couldn't shake the feeling that he would help me change my life for the better. And that's why I decided to meet him tonight. At the bell tower. At 10:00pm at night. 

I took a long breath, collecting my thoughts and scanning my room for any signs that I was away. My room was in the same messy stage that you'd always see it as, homework stewn on the floor amidst clothes and other random things I'd somehow collected. I had cushions under my bed and the hood of my hoodie showing from under the covers so it looked like I was just laying there in bed sleeping. If I was going to be honest, I was almost fooled by it myself, well, if I wasn't standing right there and knew I wasn't in bed.

Satisfied that my foster mother wouldn't notice my disappearance, I walked over to the opposite side of my tiny cramped up room and opened the window as wide as it could go. The old hinges creaked as I opened it up and the wood scraped against the window frame which didn't exactly fit in with my 'quiet and stealthy' mission of getting out of the house at night. Holding my breath, I listened to see if my foster mother had heard the sound. Seconds passed and all I could hear was the leaves outside rustling in the wind. Taking a deep breath, I opened the window that last little bit before jumping out of the window and landing with a soft thud on the front lawn. I slowly reached my hands up and closed my bedroom window, trying to be a little less noisy this time.

I quickly walked away from my rundown house and stalked down the silent street. Barely any cars were around anyway though, so it was pretty easy to stay hidden. I turned down the streets I'd passed so many times before but didn't stop once until I saw it. 

The bell tower.

Looking around to make sure no one was looking, I quickly crossed the road and reached the foot of the big building. I walked around to the back door and tried opening it. I sighed when it didn't even budge it a bit. Planting my feet on the ground firmly, I pulled the lock as hard as I could which only ended up with me falling onto my back. With a growl, I got up and looked around for a new way to get into the bell tower. Maybe five or so metres above me, I saw a tiny window that was open wide. 

Was it worth it?

Well, probably not, but I'd put my life on the line dozens of times. Who knows, maybe I also just wanted to learn about that man today. And with the bricks jutting out to the side of the bell tower, it wouldn't be too hard to climb up to it. I hoped. 

Walking around to the corner of the building, I started climbing up it. Every once in a while I'd look down to check no one was near and had spotted me, but the area seemed oddly empty tonight. It was as if I was the only one in the entire city. By the time I reached the window, I was so high up on the bell tower I was higher than some of the houses on the street. I carefully reached over to the window and, using my arms, pulled myself in. 

My feet hit the ground with a thud and I looked around me to see what looked like the third or fourth level of the bell tower. I pulled out the scrunched up piece of paper in my pocket and looked at it. 

"Meet me at the bell tower," I muttered. "10:00pm, why 10?" 

I looked around me, turning in a slow circle until I saw the stairs. And right next to it, the sign I'd been looking for. It just looked like a regular sign but I knew that man had meant that in his not. The sign with an arrow pointing up and the number 10. 

"Of course!" I whispered. "The tenth floor on the bell tower."

Not even pausing to look at the room once I more, I sprinted up so many stairs I lost count. I'd passed around six or seven levels before I arrived, panting, at the top floor. The tenth floor. Taking a deep breath, I looked in front of me and saw . . . him. 

He was here. 

~ ፀሓይ ~

A/N: Hey guys! Thanks for all the reads, votes and comments, I'm really enjoying writing this book! Please tell me what you think of it and I'll hopefully update again soon (sorry for the late update this time). Have a good day, and I hope you enjoyed this chapter!