I slowly reach over Cypher with the tray of drinks, feeling my heart again rise to my throat. With my other hand, I reach into my pocket and take out a chip scanner. Only government officials are allowed to possess them but I need it for a personal project.

This is it. I'm either going to get caught or barely escape.

I raise the scanner behind Cypher's head. My heart races as I click it and return it to my pocket. I glance around to see if any of them noticed. None of them gives me a glance but I don't stop to wait if they look in my direction.

I quickly walk away from the table, feeling as though the scanner hidden in my pocket is visible to everyone. Someone had to have seen it. If they didn't, Cypher is going to get a notification that he got scanned any second and I can't be here when he makes the conclusion that someone read his identification number.

After leaving the rooftop, I make a beeline for the bathrooms in the club and slam the stall door shut behind me. I lay my head against the cool door, breathing shakily.

Just get out. That's all you have to do.

This will be for nothing if I get caught. I have to get out. Now.

I climb onto the toilet and pull out my foldable prybar from my vest. I stuffed a change of clothes here for my quick escape. I slide the prybar's edge beneath a tile I loosened before my shift and gently remove it. My duffel bag is in the same place I left it.

I grab it with relief and pull my clothes out. After getting out of my skirt, I jump off the toilet and into my tech gear pants. I toss my hair behind my shoulders before putting on my bomber jacket and motorcycle helmet.

I pause before walking out of the bathroom. I hear their angry voices right outside the door.

Be calm.

I slowly walk out of the door to find Cyprus in front of me, interrogating one of my coworkers. The rest of his executive team is in the club, scanning the room. People wear masks and motorcycle helmets in clubs all the time but I know I could look suspicious to them.

They meet my gaze as I walk by them. I hold my breath and nod confidently in their direction. I'm grateful for my last-minute decision to add a voice changer to my helmet before this operation.

"Nice suits," I say.

They scowl at me in annoyance. When they turn to look away from me, I know I'm in the clear as I walk through the exit.

***

I advance a level on the Air Highway. I zoom in and out of flying cars with my motorcycle. Small orange spotlights trail down the road, serving as a guide to those who are driving at night. Floating telescreens light up the streets, catching the eyes of drivers by displaying upcoming events and trending videos.

My AI assistant, Sky, updates me on the traffic, "Air Highway 113 construction work ahead!"

I did it, I finally got the information I need.

Seeing bright lights reflect off the glossy paint on my bike, I shift my attention to my surroundings. I have arrived at the Lightzone, the center of the city with the most Air Highways and population. Here, strips of neon lights along skyscrapers, buildings, and signs reflect off of mirrored panels. The rays of light intertwine with one another, creating a dome of fluorescent light above our heads.

I find it breathtaking to drive underneath. I like to think that this is what the northern lights looked like long ago. However, I have found myself recently becoming restless underneath those flashing lights. It's as if someone is shining a spotlight on me constantly, and I can never escape into the comfort of the dark. Yet, the beauty still gives me a sense of wonder as well as a strange feeling of security.