27. Happily Aye

Mehek happily glanced at the award whose glaze matched shine in her proud eyes. "Mrs. Khanna whom do to feel you are most indebted for your success?", the journalist asked her. It was the most expected as well as vital question. She smiled while looking around her office before answering.

It's been few months since she had been chosen as successor of her mother. Nothing was easy but time consuming however she accomplished it. Not only she garnered recognition from her own people but being awarded as best businesswoman of the year was felicitation from outside world also. She looked onto a heavily pregnant Sonal who had insisted to work till the last day of her due date. Mehek gestured her to come beside but as usual Sonal refuted with a quick shake of her head. Mehek sighed as she knew her friend too well.

"No one but many", Mehek replied cheerfully, "My best friend and most trusted colleague, Sonal", she pointed to her so that the press won't miss to cover Sonal before she tries to escape from flashlights of camera. Once they assured to have taken enough snaps of Sonal, Mehek went on, "my mother-in-law who always motivated me", she smiled recalling all those moments when Resmi had supported her, "then ofcourse my husband who not only patted my shoulder for my smallest wins but also pulled my ears to bring me back on line whenever I went astray". 

They all laughed while Sonal nodded her head picturing exactly the same. There were times when Mehek had totally lost her cool leading to take a wrong step. Shaurya always pitched in as the level headed expert and caring husband, along with a stern attitude if required. "Is it true that you have paid Mr. Khanna back with full interest? Being a happy married couple, was it required?", the journalist asked curiously. "Yes, it is", she answered confidently, "I am a woman of principles. Even though I am lucky to have an amazing husband, it is not in my plans to loot him", she chuckled to lighten the mood, "he aided Maan empire when we needed him the most. And it is just to replay when we have regained our footing".

It's been few years since Mehek and Shaurya decided to work on their shortcoming and make them work. Indeed it was best decision they made for themselves. Slow and steady; they both marched ahead, holding their hands and giving one another a shoulder to rely on. It was not a surprise when Shaurya surpassed his success. But he gave equal value to Mehek's career as well.

"Then why was he not repaid by making him as head of Maan empire?", the questioned turned sharper as Mehek as expected. Despite being an article owing to her recent success, she knew how media will put her before the firing squad. "Shaurya Khanna has his own vast business to handle. He is least interest to take over Maan's". Before the journalist could shoot another question, doors opened and Shaurya walked in with Vivaan in tow. 

Their attention may have then turned to Shaurya, nevertheless he already heard their last question, "She is telling the truth. I have no interest in Maan's empire", he walked closer to Mehek and pecked her cheek, "But even if I was, I am no match to her. She would have eaten me alive". When his presence was requested for couple photographs, he was unsure to join. But now he is happy that he had come in nick of time to give befitting reply to unscrupulous questions thrown at his wife. She was capable to defend herself but he felt immense pleasure to protect her.

Mehek gladly squeezed his hand when they posed to take photographs. "Now that Mrs. Khanna has achieved heights in her career, will there be good news?". Shaurya sighed as another cliched query was shot at them. "In time , Dear friend", he replied sternly while trying to maintain humour, "you seemed to be more eager than our parents". The journalist became pale when everyone including his crew laughed at him. Taking pity on him, Mehek added, "we have been so busy that we didn't even have had a proper honeymoon. We are planning to take a long break and travel. And when time is right, we will plan further. Until them we are happy to play adorable Uncle and Aunt", she looked at Vivaan who was affectionately caressing Sonal's pregnant belly. They both had moved on in rollar coaster speed as soon as Sonal was hale & healthy. He proposed to her in no time, got married within a week and soon they were expecting their first baby.