Chapter 7

A few days later, at Drea's house...

"Your house is like... really cozy" remarked Eleanor
"'Cozy' is just a nice way of saying small" she sighed
"No, I... I really didn't mean it like that."
"No, I know. I'm sorry. I know you didn't. I just used to be so afraid of Tara and them finding out this is where I lived. Isn't that twisted? They were my best friends."
"Yeah, but your instincts were right." I quipped
"I guess. Speaking of, I'm ready to see those texts."
"You sure? Okay. Let's go. All right. Come over here you two."
"Oh my God. He's cheating with half the girls at Rosehill. There are messages here from a girl in every clique. Goes back years." I said surprised
"Sorry. Are you okay?" whispered Eleanor to the devastated looking girl
"Yeah. Yeah. No, I mean..."
"...Max is a lying garbage rat, so no surprise he was a cheater too. If we expose those texts, everyone will know he did this to you." I told her
"Good." she spat "He'll look even worse. We should do it on Valentine's Day. Really go for the drama."
 "You know you don't have to be brave with us. This sucks. It's allowed to suck." said Eleanor
 "Yeah. Fine. It sucks. It really sucks. Do you think I'll feel better?"
"What do you mean?"
"I'm just so angry all the time. There's this knot in my chest... and the Max stuff made it worse, but... it's always been there. And every day, I feel it getting tighter and stronger. And I feel like it's choking me. Sometimes it just hurts to exist, you know? I just wanna feel normal again."
"Yeah. I know exactly what you mean." added Eleanor
"Come here. I like you two, Eleanor and Ophelia. You're just like me."
"Yeah. We are." I smiled

Timeskip to Valentines day

Finally, we were going to put our plan in motion. After class, they put us all together in the assembly hall once again for another one of Max's announcements.

"So, we in the League, we've been trying to put our heads together to figure out a way to show all of you ladies at the school how much you mean to us and, more importantly, how much we respect you. Come on. Let's give it for respecting women! Now, as we all know, Valentine's Day is inherently patriarchal. It is heteronormative, and, honestly, it's kind of isolating, because you shouldn't have to have a special someone in your life to feel included. In fact, the most special someone in your life is you. So... We thought, 'Why not take back this day and make it all about loving ourselves?' And... and, uh... So, we have... And, uh..."

Eleanor had just leaked the texts. He looked around to see everyone on their phones, a shocked look slowly spreading on their faces, all of them with their own comment to say.

"Oh my God, his texts!"
"Are you kidding me?"
"What's going on?"
"You're terrible."
"Did you see this?"
"I'm shocked! This is shocking news!"
"What's going on?"
"What an asshole, right?"
"Oh my God. Oh my God. Cover me." whimpered Tara
"Shocking! I'm shocked!"
"Cover me now!"
"Feminist, my ass, you know?
"Higher. Let's go. Higher. It's gonna be okay."

We left with the popular group, but not before winking at Drea who winked back.