Chapter 10: Collateral Demanded

Soon, Azul escorts Briar, Jack, and the others to his VIP Lounge. Azul opens the door and the group walks inside. When they walk inside, they see different books on the shelves on the wall. Two black lounge chairs with a small table in the center. There is also a desk with a large safe behind it. Everyone is amazed to see the likeness of the room.

Jack asks, "What IS this place? Are we really still on school property? Look at that huge vault... It's like some kinda bank."

"Why would he have a vault here of all places?" Briar questions.

Then Azul says, "All right, that's enough rubbernecking. Please, have a seat."

Everyone soon decides to take a seat on the chairs in the lounge. Azul sits across at his desk. Jade and Floyd soon enter the room with the drinks and place it on the stable. Then they both stand beside Azul's desk, each twin taking each side. Once everything is settled, Azul starts the meeting.

Azul asks, "So, what would you like to discuss with me?"

Briar takes a deep breath and says, "Okay. See you, I'd really like you to free the students you've indentured and remove those anemones from their heads.

Azul then laughs, "Ha ha ha! Goodness me. That's quite the demand to make right out the gate. You would ask me to release all 225 students from their contracts with me?"

This has come to a shock to everyone, but Azul.

"You bamboozled that many people?! That's nuts!" Jack asks, shocked.

"It's hard to believe you managed to pull something like that off," Jasper says.

"Yes, well, Jade and Floyd did a bit of proactive market outreach this year. Thanks to that, I've had no shortage of clients ready to strike up deals with me," Azul says.

Jasper mutters, "I still can't believe it."

Then Azul says, "Now, Briar—as for your request to free these students... I am not forcing them to labor under any undue duress. They made a contract with me, and they willingly consented to the terms laid out in writing. Contracts are ironclad agreements not subject to intervention from outside parties on any emotional basis. 'Poor, unfortunate souls' they are not. To put it more bluntly: your protestations will avail you nothing, no matter how much you might kick and scream."

Briar isn't sure what to do about the situation. It seems that simply talking to Azul is not enough to convince him to stop his plans, and remove everyone who's under contract with him. Briar then has an idea, however, this plan is very risky.

Remaining calm, Briar says, "I'm told you're willing to grant any wish as part of a deal. So then, let's make a deal."

Jack, Sereia, Jasper, Tanzanite, and Trinket are shocked to hear what Briar says.

Jack cries out, "Wait, what?! Have you lost it?!"

"Oho. You want to make a deal with me?" Azul questions.

He then slowly smirks, "Now there's an interesting proposal."

Floyd even grins, "Aha ha! Little Shrimpy's got some guts!"

Serai worriedly says, "Briar, you can't make a deal with him."

"What you're doing is crazy," Jasper says.

Briar doesn't answer, and has her gaze at Azul.

"Hm. Now, while your interest is duly noted... There's a wee bit of a snag," Azul says.

"Oh really? And what will that be?" Briar questions.

"What could you offer to me?" Azul questions. "What could you offer, that is worth 225 students and their magic. From what I understand, you do possess some magic, but not as powerful as many of us, nor are you heir to any kingdom. You're an utterly run-of-the-mill human in every possible way. Considering the big ask you're making of me, I would need considerable collateral."

"Such as?" Jack questions.

"What do you have in mind?" Briar asks.

Azul then thinks for a bit and says, "Hm, I don't know... Just off the top of my head, how about usage rights for Ramshackle Dorm, which is presently under Briar's supervision?"

"What?" Sereia asks, shocked.

"You want the Ramshackle Dorm?" Tanzanite asks, shocked.

Jack is just as shocked and angry, "Hey... Was that your whole angle from the—"

Suddenly, the doors slam open and Grim runs in and seems to be covered in soapy foam.

Grim screams, "SIGN ME UP FOR THAT!"

"Grim, how long have you been there?" Briar asks.

"And what happened to you? You look like a soapy mess," Jasper questions

Grim continues to complain, "I can't TAKE it anymore! My fur ain't for washin' dishes!"

Just then, Jade steps forward, "Ducking out of work to eavesdrop on others is hardly employee-of-the-month behavior, Grim." Then turns to Floyd, "Floyd, eject him."

"Can do!" Floyd happily says and begins to approach Grim.

But Azul says, "Now, now. Let's not be hasty, gentlemen."

That makes Floyd and Jade stop. Grim quickie yelps and hides between Briar and Sereia.

Then Azul says to Briar, "Briar, the lone student at your dorm has weighed in on the matter. What say you? Will you put Ramshackle Dorm up as collateral and make a contract with me?"

Grim begs, "Pleeease, Briar, I'm beggin' here..."

And Jack says, "Briar, don't do it! You know he's just gonna name some unreasonable terms you could never possibly meet."

"He's right. Plus, this is our dorm we're talking about," Jasper says.

"Yeah. It's our home. Please rethink this," Tanzanite says.

Briar thinks hard on what to do. If she accepts the deal then they'll end up giving up their dorm. But if she doesn't then she will end up losing three of her friends and they'll lose their freedom. However, Briar doesn't need to think too hard about it. She knows what she needs to do.

Briar asks, "So what are the terms for granting my wish?"

Sereia and the others grow even more worried.

Jack yelps, "Hey!"

"Briar, are you serious?!" Jasper asks, shocked.

"Here's the deal..." Azul says.

Briar begins to listen carefully on Azul's condition to the contract.