Chapter 11 - Alliance, part 5

Start from the beginning

He still didn't know where Vrol'ma was. His eyes flickered to the Glocxans with blood on them. But he had a feeling that he knew what had happened to him.

"What the hell is that?" one of them said of Kohgrash. The other Glocxan dropped Shul's bound hands and moved to Rulshkka. She immediately started shucking him of his jewelry. A robbery, then.

Rulshkka thought quickly. There was no way that these Glorcxans knew what Kohgrash was. If they knew he was a sentient species, then they'd be more likely to take caution of him. But if they thought he was a mere animal...

"He is my pet," Rulshkka said hastily, reflecting some of the very real panic he felt in his voice. "He's harmless."

They eyed Kohgrash dubiously, who had quickly cottoned onto his plan and stood languidly, shoulders relaxed. His gaze was fixed on nothing particular, playing the part of senseless animal rather well.

"Why's it all dressed up, then?" one accused. He lifted his blaster, leveling it at Kohgrash. To his credit, the human didn't even flinch.

"No!" the gasp was torn out of him. "If you don't believe me, look at the Guidebook! Mammals are a common pet on my planet. I - I just wanted him to look nice for today." It was a flimsy excuse, but as the Vokkrus were secretive, the Glorcxans could only assume it was a quirk of their culture.

The Glorcxan laughed. She nudged at Kohgrash with her foot, who stumbled backward and looked up at her. His face was impassive, and Rulshkka saw the barely-there rage behind his eyes. He mentally apologized for putting him in this position, but if he were cuffed like the rest of them, their chances of escape were rather slim.

"Of course, you Vokkrus would have some meek animal as a pet," the leader of the heist stepped over, a digital copy of the Guidebook hovering over his wristband. His head tilted, and his mouth curled into a vicious smirk. "I wonder what you'll do for his safety. Could be fun to see."

"Boss, aren't we just here for shiny things-?" one of his underlings asked. The ringleader made a high-pitched clicking noise that made several of the Glocxans flinch. Rulshkka saw Kohgrash's eyes light up for a second before he was a blank slate once more.

"Don't you want to have a little fun, Xeer? I mean, come on! We made it into the Core! The first pirates to successfully make it inside! And when we're done here, we'll be rich," Boss crowed. Rulshkka saw Heth's face twist into a frown.

"You will not make it off this establishment alive," he spat. Torra'ta behind him was powered down, and the Glorcxan near Heth shoved the Anlam into the cold metal warningly.

"You should surrender," Nelcu, the V'srk, advised. She was angry. There were multiple Glorcxans surrounding the Founders and several were holding on to her horns and limbs in an attempt to subdue her. There probably had to be about fifty in the room.

"And why," Boss drawled, swinging his arms out, "would I do that? Seems rather silly, don't you think, lads?"

Cheers and calls answered him, and Boss turned his attention back onto Kohgrash. He gestured to the human. "Rid this little guy of his master's valuables. Looks like it'll fetch a pretty penny. He's rather cute, ain't he?"

Kohgrash let out an inhuman snarl as one of the Glorcxans reached for him. They jumped back in fright. Boss chuckled loudly, walking up to Kohgrash.

"He is rather wary of strangers," Rulshkka said mildly. "I wouldn't recommend-"

"Shut up, will you?" he snapped, pointing the blaster right at his head all while looking at Kohgrash. Shul and Thrin went deathly still beside him. Kohgrash's eyes were wide and fearful. Rulshkka simply smiled at the barrel of the blaster and stayed quiet.