02 | step-siblings

C L A I R E
02 | step-siblings

The party is in full swing downstairs. The chandeliers are shining the brightest, there is a crowd of fifty and more joining them as the huge double doors are kept open to welcome guests. An orchestra plays the greatest classical hits, champagne glasses are drowned empty one after enough as people chut-chat while they wait. The room smells sweet as perfumes mix into different combinations of scents.

I am nervously clutching my hands to my chest, my heart full to see such a view. It is exotic — a Gatsby-style party with a formal dress code and posh drinks. I have attended such parties hundreds of times before but tonight feels special.

I am standing on top of the stairs, dressed in Nina's designed gorgeous black A-line gown, watching the guests chatting and dancing. My daughter, Mia, is chuckling with her friends. She looks the prettiest of everyone in her beautiful rainbow mermaid gown. She is growing up so fast that I am sure pretty soon Vaughn will start to forbid boys ten feet near her.

Rose and her husband, Charles are dancing to the orchestra. They only married a few years ago when Rose went for an impromptu trip. She met her carefree life partner there and they have been inseparable since. Mom and Dad are among the crowd too, giggling about a secret joke between themselves. I also find Doris, the only one without her better half, but she still looks happy as she helps Zac and Zayne with their bowties.

The twins are her lifeline. She loves them too much to spoil them. I allow that without protest although Vaughn disagrees.

"Hey, babe." My husband's arms wrap around me from behind. I gasp as he pulls me to his chest. "What are you looking at?"

I tilt my head as I grin at him. He looks so handsome in his three-piece black tailored suit with a golden shimmer to it. I designed it for him myself. It is the only piece of its kind and with his gelled hair slicked back, he looks heart-melting. Those chocolaty-brown eyes have nothing but love for me in them.

My dearly beloved. I fear the love I have for him at times. It has the potential to kill me.

"I'm happy. A little too much," I reply.

His lips catch mine for a swift kiss, not caring about my carefully done makeup by professionals. He always does it so that the last touch on me would be of him. He wants people to know who I belong to.

"I'm glad you are."

He smiles, letting go of me only to give me his left arm to hold on to. I do so, placing a hand on his elbow as we both start descending the stairs. The lights turn to us, making every guest bring their attention to the couple of the evening. I blush like a newly married bride as we reach downstairs.

We are instantly greeted by a throng of people, including our friends and Vaughn's business partners. We mix in with the crowd quickly as they congratulate us on our sixteenth anniversary while giving us presents. Vaughn pretends to be jealous when most of the presents end up being for me instead of him and I elbow him playfully.

Chatters grow as we are pulled apart from each other — a group of females, which mostly include Nina, Rose, and Jesse pull me to a side while Vaughn's friends, including some from his pool games, drag him with them.

"How come you never age?" Nina whines like always, touching one loose curl of my hair. "I already have wrinkles which by the way, make it so hard to put on any foundation. Vlad keeps hiding all my make-up from me, saying that I look far better without any."

I laugh, seeing her pouty expression. "That's rather sweet of him. Vaughn prefers me both ways so I never really thought of asking for his preference."